SQL Server Management Studio and SQL Azure

• I guess so, but we'd just have to figure out what the OLEDB and JDBC connection strings would be. MS only provides details for the ODBC connection string.

• Just tried it with QueryExPlus using the ODBC connection and that works.

• lcee (12/9/2009)

I'm not sure where the "only works with Vista and Windows Server 2008" statement comes from. SQL Azure connectivity is working fine from my Windows 7 client.

Yeah..same here... works fine using a Windows XP client!

--
    :hehe:

• Hey Steve,

You're right about not being able to connect through the main logon box and only by clicking on "New Query" and then logging in through the login box that follows.

However, the problem with this way is I don't see anything in the object explorer.

My question is, should I be seeing something in "Object Explorer" when connected to SQL Azure? Currently I dont and its very annoying as I like to do most of my stuff through the GUI.

Thanks,

Slick

--

• Slick, you need 2008 R2 tools in order to see anything in the object explorer.

• FYI, just got an answer from MS Azure support forum and you can also use Azure with an OLEDB connection string, unofficially. Here it is:

Provider=SQLNCLI10;Server=tcp:yourServer.database.windows.net;Database=yourDb;Uid=yourUser@yourServer;Pwd=yourPassword;

However, there seems to be better features/support with ODBC. Then again, OLEDB is not officially supported right now, only ODBC and ADO.NET. What I noticed with ODBC is that using it with QueryExPlus for Azure, I am able to see a list view of the tables and the table's fields in the left pane "primitive" object explorer of QueryExPlus. With an OLEDB connection for QueryExPlus, I don't get that list view.

• Jack Corbett (12/10/2009)

Slick, you need 2008 R2 tools in order to see anything in the object explorer.

I'm running SQL Server 2008. Shouldn't I be able to see the objects in the object explorer then?

--

• Great tip David - thanks!

A couple people have ripped me about the only available on Vista and Windows Server 2008 line. Clearly it will work with Windows 7, but that OS was not even out when I wrote the article. And as far as XP goes, I will need to check the facts because I have a strong suspicion that I was confusing Windows Azure - which definitely does not work with XP - with SQL Azure. There is no reason why it shouldn't. Since I just wiped my XP laptop to install Windows 7, I can't verify, but I'll edit the article accordingly. That's not the kind of rumor I want to propagate.

It will be interesting to see what SQL2008 R2 does for cloud computing, but I no longer jump into beta versions since SQL 2005 CTPs...I am sure some of you know what I am talking about.

• Slick84 (12/11/2009)

Jack Corbett (12/10/2009)

Slick, you need 2008 R2 tools in order to see anything in the object explorer.

I'm running SQL Server 2008. Shouldn't I be able to see the objects in the object explorer then?

Nope. You need to be running SQL Server 2008 R2, it's not a service pack but a new release.

• SAM-200046 (12/11/2009)

A couple people have ripped me about the only available on Vista and Windows Server 2008 line. Clearly it will work with Windows 7, but that OS was not even out when I wrote the article. And as far as XP goes, I will need to check the facts because I have a strong suspicion that I was confusing Windows Azure - which definitely does not work with XP - with SQL Azure. There is no reason why it shouldn't. Since I just wiped my XP laptop to install Windows 7, I can't verify, but I'll edit the article accordingly. That's not the kind of rumor I want to propagate.

SQL Azure will or should work with Windows XP. But the question to the users is really, what tool are you using against SQL Azure? Because the tool defines the system requirements, not SQL Azure.

I have tested under Windows XP SP2 using VBScript and QueryExPlus and QueryExpress to connect to SQL Azure and query a database there.

Since SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 run on XP as well, you can use SSMS to connect to SQL Azure from XP.

Note however, that if you use ODBC and OLEDB for SQL Azure and don't have SQL 2008 installed on machine, you will need to have the SQL Server Native Client 10 (or 2008) database driver installed. I don't know if any OS comes with that preinstalled but XP does not have that. The driver is available as an MSI redistributable that you can find online from MS if you google for it.

• I'd like to try the produst as it seems to be cool and Nice to have.

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
  • duda (12/15/2009)

I'd like to try the produst as it seems to be cool and Nice to have.

It is pretty cool & nice.. though you need SQL R2 tools as mentioned by Corbett above. I dont have it so Im unable to see anything in my object explorer. Without it, I'm totally lost.

Wonder what a local "cloud" within a company is though... isnt having servers and our DB's on them already a cloud? *confused*

--

• I think the typical rollout to the cloud is going to be a database that you design locally, then script the database. Which of course brings up the much-needed function of scripting the data along with the DDL. MySQL does this and I really like it.

• For synching your local data there are few options..

Either use the Microsoft Sync based Azure tool. Learn more about it here http://microsoftpdc.com/Sessions/KEY01

and download it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bce4ad61-5b76-4101-8311-e928e7250b9a&displaylang=en

This framework allows you to keep your on-premis database in synch with an Azure instance & vice versa

Another tool that generates Bulk copy scripts and optionally allows to execute them to load on-premis data to the cloud is here as well

http://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/

I have used both methods quite successfully.

• Its not necessary to install SQL 2008 R2.

Just the client tools from Nov CTP of SQL 2008 R2 will do

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply