sql server maintenace plan for backup's behaviour

• Hi Guys,

Under SQL server maintenance plan -> manage connections, we can choose either windows authentication or sql server authentication.

I'm actually quite puzzled here. To be able to access the maintenance plan and eventually choosing the windows authentication option, I will need to use a windows account having sysadmin privilege. After configuring it, I tried using profiler to trace and notice that the backup was ran using sql server agent service account.

That is fine.. but I don't understand that why is there a need just to use a windows authentication account just for the manage connections option.. it doesn't really use it for backup (we can't use the sql server agent service account to login to do that as in our environment our service account is deny login to server).

/

thanks

• You need to be able to grant access to an account to the drive locations where the backup is going to go. That's why it should be a network account. Make sure that your SQL Agent runs under a network account as well.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply