SQL server logs backup / reduction

• I tried couple of UNC but I am not getting it correct :

I have an x drive mapped to it , what should be the correct UNC?

• You don't need to map a drive. The service account for SQL Server logs into Windows. It can't see your drive mappings when you've logged in with RDP.

Instead, run the backup like this:

Backup database mydb to disk='\\backupserver\share\myshare\mybackup.bak'

• error

Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot open backup device '\\X\analyitcs\test_UNC.BAK'. Operating system error 53(The network path was not found.).

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I went to services and restarted the SQL server and now analytics its in a recovery mode.

Hope I have not screwed it up?

• Your service account may not have rights to that path. Not all accounts will. You'll have to determine if that's the case.

If the db is recovering, you will have to look in the error log to find out why.

• Ice007 (4/22/2013)

Cannot open backup device '\\X\analyitcs\test_UNC.BAK'. Operating system error 53(The network path was not found.).

As the error message says, the network path does not exist. Nor would I expect it to unless you have a server named "X"

\\<server name>\<share name>\<path>

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/22/2013)

If you're loading 1-2 GB a day in the log, I'd shrink the log to 5GB. Space is relatively cheap, and this gives you pad.

You don't need a 140GB log, and likely it grew because you didn't run log backups. Switch the db to simple mode, shrink the log. Schedule (don't run, schedule) a full backup every day.

Steve while shrinking log Should i select option of release unused space or shrink to X GB?

• Shrink to X GB (where X is the size the log needs to be for normal operation)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (4/23/2013)

Shrink to X GB (where X is the size the log needs to be for normal operation)

Thanks Gila I did backed up my data but not the log, hope its fine.

but what is the right amount of X?

On previous page Steve recommended 5gb

• I would agree with Gail on the shrink.

As for the size, there is no right size. If you are getting 2GB daily, 2GB might be fine for the size. I chose 5 because 3GB isn't a lot of space (1.5% of your drive) and it gives you pad.

• Ice007 (4/23/2013)

GilaMonster (4/23/2013)

Shrink to X GB (where X is the size the log needs to be for normal operation)

Thanks Gila I did backed up my data but not the log, hope its fine.

but what is the right amount of X?

On previous page Steve recommended 5gb

As I said, in the post you quoted "where X is the size the log needs to be for normal operation", now you may need to do some monitoring and work to see how much log space the database operations normally need.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks a lot Steven and Gila to help me get these things done.

thanks a lot , you guys rock

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply