SQL Server logs a lot in the Windows Application Event Log

• I have a SQL Server 2008 configured to take Backup Logs of several databases each 15 minutes.

That means each 15 minutes, several entries are made to the Windows Application Event Log with the "Information" level. Is there a way to log only if there an error?

I'm not worried about the size, it's just that it's a lot of information that is already in the SQL Agent Log.

• Yes, you can disable those messages using a trace flag. See this article for further information: http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1457

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks, this is a nice tip but want I would really want is to log into the SQL Server Log without logging in the Windows Application Event Log.

Is that possible?

• AlreadyPicked (3/4/2010)

Thanks, this is a nice tip but want I would really want is to log into the SQL Server Log without logging in the Windows Application Event Log.

Is that possible?

If that trace flag turns off the notification messages in the SQL Server log (I am not sure it does that), then no - it is not possible.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I know that there are ways to reduce the Noise in the event logs of Windows Server 2008. By default it logs everything. But it will recycle the log too fast. Maybe you should look at this blog by Eric at msdn blogs. I have not read through it completely but we are planning to do some adjustments to our event logs as well. So I had it bookmarked.

-Roy

• After testing it, I can confirm that it does indeed stop logging both in the SQL Server Log and Windows Event Log.

Since my backup is scripted with outputs, I'll probably let this trace flag on so that it does not pollute the logs with that information.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply