SQL Server Lock

• What can be the best stratgey to deal with 10 Millns of user on one SQL database.

Also, what can be the possible locks during the operation.

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• Hello,

This is very wide questions.

All depend on the how application is as well as the size of the database?

What kind of query generally user will use read or write (insert/update/delete)?

Also you need to provide more detail about your environment so that people can help you in perticular direction.

Looks like more of Interview Question :hehe:

TC

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Heheh..No its not an enterview question.. 🙂

DB size is 50GB.

frequently running queries INSERT/DELETE?UPDATE/SELECT

• Do users are having any blocking problem?

You can use sp_lock to check the lock info.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Okay... let me break the news for you: it is not how many potential users you have, it is how many are concurrently working on the system and how complex the transactions are.

Now let's see who is in the better position to answer those questions... mmhhh... oops! it's you! 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I highly doubt you have, or will have, 10 million concurrent users. I'm not sure Microsoft.com gets that many. You might have 10mm signed up users, but probably only a fraction access the database at one time.

how do they do it? Is there a front end? Do you use connection pooling? There are any number of ways to tackle a problem of scale, but without defining the issues more carefully, it's impossible to give advice.

• Vishal Singh (10/17/2008)

What can be the best stratgey to deal with 10 Millns of user on one SQL database.

Well written, efficient queries and indexes that support those queries.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Seems like forum jumped into an occasion...:hehe:

actually we are planning for few applications which will be sharing one ( or 2) dbs.

this db will being used approx 10mlns of users. may be half of them or 25% of them will be connecting at a time but

as we are in db designing state, I want to make sure that even if they all get connected at one time (as they belongs to the same geographical regions :w00t: ,) the DB is configured in such a way that it can handle them.:D

all I am looking out here is something which I can add to my plan for this upcoming design.:cool:

• If you are designing a DB that will have 5 or even 2.5 million concurrent users, you NEED to hire some serious consultants that charge a lot of money and know what they are talking about.

If you are serious, you are talking about building one of the busiest databases in the world, from scratch. Soliciting advice on an forum like this isn't the best place to start - not that the people here aren't very knowledgeable and helpful of course 😎

You need to get some advice from people who are accountable.

• Yes, I am..

However, the gray area here is not what to implement (we already know that) and even not that how to implement (even that is known) but what can be the + and - of this.

I guess the very first thing is does SQL Server 2005 or 2008 supports this much of users?

the second question is, How much efficient SQL server is to deal with this requirement. Is there something better than SQL Server for this.

• MySpace runs on SQL Server, so it's not a case of can SQL handle it, it can, but also the rest of the infrastructure needs serious consideration.

Will your network support all of that traffic? Will the server be able to handle (at an OS level) that many network packets, etc.

You should probably speak to the SQL Customer Advisory Team (http://sqlcat.com). Their job is to help customers with the largest and most complex SQL installations in the world and, if your figures for users are correct, this will be one of them

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply