SQL Server licensing information

• We have a server that is currently running SQL Server 2005 and I need to find out how it is licensed... where can I look / what can I do to tell how we have SS2005 licensed on this server??

Thanks!

Michelle

~mj

• Your invoice for the product. I don't believe there is any way to query SQL Server 2005 to know how it is licensed. Please let me know if I am wrong on this issue.

• Unlike SQL Server 2000; 2005 and 2008 don't write license to the registry anymore. You may find instances were it might have, but Microsoft goes by "paper proof". As long as you have a certificate of purchase, purchase order, invoice that shows you have a SQL Server license you are good for auditing purposes.

You can query to find out what edition you have but not what type of license (per processor, per user) you have.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Thank you for the responses. I wasn't sure if there was a way to check or not. I will pass this information along to the manager that asked me about this.

~Michelle

~mj

• Hi

you could use the following but as already mentioned it will probably not be helpful as paper proof is the norm now

select serverproperty('Licensetype'), serverproperty('Numlicenses')

However these details can be entered onto the server and the following link details how to do this if required

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlblog/archive/2006/11/10/tracking-license-information-in-sql-2005.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Just reiterating what has been said. SQL 2005 does not store this information like SQL 2000 and prior. You will need to check your invoices.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Perry Whittle (3/31/2010)

Hi

However these details can be entered onto the server and the following link details how to do this if required

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlblog/archive/2006/11/10/tracking-license-information-in-sql-2005.aspx

That would be an interesting thing to implement. I usually try to get a PO or invoice for software I installed (at least when I worked for State of Alabama agencies), or made sure the accounting department had it. However if you work for a company that you do not have easy access to that paperwork, entering it into the registry would be a good record keeping idea:hehe:

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Hi Shawn

yes, as previously mentioned you need to have the paper proof which normally the DBA doesnt have access to (only the admins or bean counters 😉 ). If the DBA wants to track for informational or at a glance purposes without digging through reams of paperwork then the process i posted can be followed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply