SQl Server Licenses Issue along with reporting/analysis services

• Hi  All

We are working out a solution scenario where client wants

Sql Server on one box and Reporting Services/Analysis Services on other box.

can any one help me

1) if reporting/analysis services can be run on  box

2) what should be configuration recommened in terms of processor /RAM

3) The most important How do we go about Licensing

I culd refer to tis article on MS site

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/analysisservices.asp

but still not very clear that can we run reporting/analysis on same box and licenses to be bought on same.

Thanks In advance!!

Regards

Deepa

• yes they can be run on one box,

reporting services comes with sql 2000 standard, so you dont need to worry about its license.  As far as processor, ram, that depends on your specs, how often process cubes/ reports, how big are your databases.  ( I would buy as big as budget allowed)

• Think about it like this. Your SQL Server license allows you to run SQL Server Database Engine, Analysis Services and Reporting Services.

You'll need to purchase an additional license when you want to run any component on an additional server.

For your other questions,

a) can they run on the same box - yes they can all run on the same box.

b) what is the recommended configuration - This just leads to more questions. How big is your database, how active is it, how much data will be held in the cubes, how many cubes do/will you have? Will end-users be running reports throughout the day, will reports be generated and distributed in batches?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply