Sql Server licence

• We have a DEV Live and DR environment. The Dev is liscensed by MSDN and all users connecting with MSDN liscensing

The Live and DR environments EXACTLY the same spec but in different data Centres are Server License for Live and MSDN liscense DR with Microsoft Software assurance for Active/passive Failover.

My question is would it be possible to put a UAT database on my DR server, wich is in passive state restoring, to test. This would be handy as it is the same environment as live being in the data centre which the Dev system is not.

Has anyone setup licensed this scenario?

• pretty sure as soon as you have anything on your passive/DR instance that isn't used for DR then instance will have to be properly licensed. Your best best to get a valid answer would be to talk to your software vendor or microsoft support.

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• As soon as you do anything else on the passive node, it must be fully licensed. It's only under the 'no licence required' while it hosts a passive DB and only a passive DB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the reply. Sounds like i need to talk to our software provider. We were lead to believe we could run our two week Double run with legacy test on the DR server prior to migrating them from the legacy system to NEW. It doesn't sound right, i know he has a msdn licence for DR which would allow it but it also is under SA for passive DR.

• I think he's thinking about the 'you may run the passive server for 30 days before you need to license it' clause, but that applies to a DR failover, not intentional added workload.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply