sql server laptops using AMD processor

• Hi

I have current dell laptop with intel processor .I has become old and wish to purchased new one .i wish to try one with amd processor .Which one would be good amd processor from there current generation ryzen 3/5/or 7 .I am not into gaming much .it mostly going to used for learning and some time entertainment purpose.also i was planning to install both windows+linux os in dual boot configuration .will have oracle virtual box

.i am think of atleast 8 gb of ram would be enough . What should be storage should it would be purely ssd or hdd .how about hybrid??

so please  suggest what should be good configuration and any other suggetsion

• The 4000 series Ryzen CPUs seem to be great value in terms of performance/power.  H-series are competitive with desktop chips for performance. U-series have more moderate performance, and are geared toward longer battery life.  You might find some bargains w/ prior series Ryzen laptops, but they should be significantly discounted to offset the dramatic improvements in the newer generation.

8GB is not much RAM for running Windows alone, let alone Windows plus virtual machine plus SQL Server, and possibly other RDBMS.  Get as much RAM as the laptop and your budget allows.

RE. storage: For boot speed alone, it's worth having SSD.  If you can have SSD plus hard drive, that's a good way to get more (cheap) storage.  Hybrid drives such as Firecuda are often relatively inexpensive (can't attest to performance gain).

• ratbak wrote:

The 4000 series Ryzen CPUs seem to be great value in terms of performance/power.  H-series are competitive with desktop chips for performance. U-series have more moderate performance, and are geared toward longer battery life.  You might find some bargains w/ prior series Ryzen laptops, but they should be significantly discounted to offset the dramatic improvements in the newer generation.

8GB is not much RAM for running Windows alone, let alone Windows plus virtual machine plus SQL Server, and possibly other RDBMS.  Get as much RAM as the laptop and your budget allows.

RE. storage: For boot speed alone, it's worth having SSD.  If you can have SSD plus hard drive, that's a good way to get more (cheap) storage.  Hybrid drives such as Firecuda are often relatively inexpensive (can't attest to performance gain).

Hi RABTAK

Thanks for advice between how much RAM you recommended to have laptop with both dual boot mode

I have checked web , first laptop base on AMD are less compared too intel and even ram in there is limited to 8GB..

I cannot have have desktop so was searching for laptop .Can you suggets some good laptops

Can i go with used/refurbished one or stick with new one

Regards

• anoop.mig29 wrote:

Hi

I have current dell laptop with intel processor .I has become old and wish to purchased new one .i wish to try one with amd processor .Which one would be good amd processor from there current generation ryzen 3/5/or 7 .I am not into gaming much .it mostly going to used for learning and some time entertainment purpose.also i was planning to install both windows+linux os in dual boot configuration .will have oracle virtual box

.i am think of atleast 8 gb of ram would be enough . What should be storage should it would be purely ssd or hdd .how about hybrid??

To be honest, I don't believe you'll be happy with 8GB of RAM.  I'd shoot for 24-32GB of RAM.

The rest is all a matter of how much you can afford to spend.  How much would that be for you?  Also, are you going to carry it around a whole lot (thinking about weight vs functionality here) or are you mostly going to use it as if it were a desktop box where you don't have to carry it around much.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

anoop.mig29 wrote:

Hi

To be honest, I don't believe you'll be happy with 8GB of RAM.  I'd shoot for 24-32GB of RAM.

The rest is all a matter of how much you can afford to spend.  How much would that be for you?  Also, are you going to carry it around a whole lot (thinking about weight vs functionality here) or are you mostly going to use it as if it were a desktop box where you don't have to carry it around much.

24-32GB is probably a bit much, in my opinion, unless the OP is planning to run SQL Server on a VM and the host machine at the same time, and leave them running so they can eat RAM. Otherwise 16GB is probably going to be more than a enough and well within the realms of an "affordable" laptop.

I rarely go over 16GB on my Home Desktop unless I'm doing heavy workloads; if i load a game I rarely hit 16GB even with a SQL instance running as a container in the background. (Note I do run Linux as my primary OS, which is less RAM intensive, if i were on Windows, I would likely be hitting 18-20GB of RAM more often).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

24-32GB is probably a bit much, in my opinion...

I used to think the same thing.   Between MS TEAMS and the other bloatware known as MS Office and running SQL Server Developers Edition, I'm really happy I settled on 32GB.  I also have 2TB of NVME SSD and 1TB of spinning rust so that I can do comparisons in performance.  I seriously over provisioned the SSDs because I don't want it to fail due to writes for about 7-10 years.  I didn't plan for today's usage... I planned for "tomorrow's" usage because I do want this machine to last a decade like my last one did (and it's still running, BTW... I just couldn't outfit it with more RAM and SSDs).  I also like the kick in the pants I get on it because the CPU starts running a 2.2G Hz in the "Best Battery Life" mode and kicks it up to 4G HZ when I really need it to (like when you visit Weather.com because their programmers seem to not understand a thing called "performance").

It also has a stainless steel frame, which makes it a bit heavy but mostly bullet proof when it comes to bumps and the inevitable accidental drop.

If you have the bucks, an overprovisioned laptop will make your life a joy.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• i donot want destop and neither i am continously going to run sql server .Also sql server would be running mostly within VM only.I have different doubt question  laptop manufacture advertise max memory that laptop can be upgraded to say 16GB ,can i added more ram it to say 20GB.I know i can do it .i have done same with my dell laptop but just to be sure

• anoop.mig29 wrote:

i donot want destop and neither i am continously going to run sql server .Also sql server would be running mostly within VM only.I have different doubt question  laptop manufacture advertise max memory that laptop can be upgraded to say 16GB ,can i added more ram it to say 20GB.I know i can do it .i have done same with my dell laptop but just to be sure

That completely depends on the laptop. Some of the new Dell XPS lineup, for example, have the RAM intergrated so it cannot be either removed or replaced. You would need to check the details of the specific laptop, or reach out to the vendor for confirmation.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply