SQL Server is restarting every time

• mwieczorek (10/12/2011)

any ideas why my sql server restarts every time?

As I said it sounds like someone is pulling the plug or switching off at the socket. Without any other log info there is no other possible conclusion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (10/12/2011)

mwieczorek (10/12/2011)

As I said it sounds like someone is pulling the plug or switching off at the socket. Without any other log info there is no other possible conclusion.

Overheating perhaps? Poor power quality maybe, or a faulty UPS also comes to mind.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/12/2011)

Perry Whittle (10/12/2011)

mwieczorek (10/12/2011)

Overheating perhaps? Poor power quality maybe, or a faulty UPS also comes to mind.

True and without seeing their data centre impossible to pinpoint in a forum. Not entirely sure a faulty UPS would be the culprit, this would cause unexpected shutdowns but in the event of power failure.

All very valid though Gail, good call!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• We had a similar problem a while back, where the SQL server restarted every 4 days. It turned out that a new version of the antivirus software had a 'memory leak'. The 4 days between shutdowns allowed us to monitor the system and isolate the problem, I'm not sure how we'd have managed with a 10 minute window though.

Dave

• Dave Brooking (10/12/2011)

We had a similar problem a while back, where the SQL server restarted every 4 days. It turned out that a new version of the antivirus software had a 'memory leak'. The 4 days between shutdowns allowed us to monitor the system and isolate the problem, I'm not sure how we'd have managed with a 10 minute window though.

Dave

This was the exact same avenue i was looking at and indeed i have seen similar in the past too, however the OP states that there is nothing in the event log. I would expect to see log entries from a faulting application if this was the case.

• Perry Whittle (10/12/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Brooking (10/12/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a similar problem a while back, where the SQL server restarted every 4 days. It turned out that a new version of the antivirus software had a 'memory leak'. The 4 days between shutdowns allowed us to monitor the system and isolate the problem, I'm not sure how we'd have managed with a 10 minute window though.

This was the exact same avenue i was looking at and indeed i have seen similar in the past too, however the OP states that there is nothing in the event log. I would expect to see log entries from a faulting application if this was the case.

I was (and still am) fairly new to server administration, and I may have missed something in the logs, but I don't remember seeing anything that related to the antivirus software or the memory issue.

Dave

• Have you PHYSICALLY been in the room with that server with a screen looking at what's going on?

Lots of possible culprit would be visible from there. Especially with reboots every 10 minutes.

• when i encountered this issue i found various entries in the windows event log from the McAffe virus scan app. I looked them up on the McAffe support site and found they related to an app memory leak. Once i applied the fixes the issues stopped 😉

• And I've seen a virus with this exact behavior (was 60 secs but still).

I've also seen a screensaver peg the cpus at 100%.

Both of which could only be seen while in the room.

• after a while i figured this parse out

SQL Server is terminating in response to a 'stop' request from Service Control Manager. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

thats why my sql server 2008 r2 stopped. but i dont know why the service control manager sends a stop request to the sql server

• to be clear, you have checked the windows application and system logs havent you?

• That message typically means that someone clicked the 'stop' button for the service or an app called for a NET STOP <service name>.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ok someone is good 😉 it wasn't me.

yes of course in this logs stays the same as in the sql server logs

• do you use the SQL Server Audit feature?

• i dont think so. i only use 2 services ( sql server and sql server browser)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply