SQL Server Inventory

• I have been given with a big task - to make an inventory of SQL Server installations across 25 worldwide locations. I am not sure if I should be trying to capturing every instance, including SQL Server Runtime license and SQL Server express. Or should I stick to Standard and Enterprise. What would be the best arguments to make to my boss to include runtime and express instances?

thanks

• Patch levels and associated vulnerabilities.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Those databases if not maintained can pose a risk and threat to your entire environment.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/31/2011)

Those databases if not maintained can pose a risk and threat to your entire environment.

Yup. Sooner or later some senior manager's going to come storming to you screaming that a server you knew nothing about has failed and it's your responsibility to get the data back.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There is a useful free tool that might be able to help you with this - it's by Quest software and available here - http://www.quest.com/discovery-wizard-for-sql-server/.

The only drawback is that I think you need domain administrator access to any domain's you want to run it against. If you don't have this and can't get it, ask your network administrator to run the tool for you and give you the results.

• webtekkie alludes to another important thing.

This really is an effort that requires communication and teamwork. Net Admins and DBAs together should be working to physically inventory the SQL Instances and servers.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• nzrdb6 - Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:01 PM

I have been given with a big task - to make an inventory of SQL Server installations across 25 worldwide locations. I am not sure if I should be trying to capturing every instance, including SQL Server Runtime license and SQL Server express. Or should I stick to Standard and Enterprise. What would be the best arguments to make to my boss to include runtime and express instances?thanks

disclaimer: I work for the company behind SQLDocKit

We have developed a tool that will help you with that https://www.sqldockit.com

What is cool thing and how it works is we scan the server for services and on the SQL express TCP/IP connections are not enabled by default. So after we scan the service we try to ping the SQL server instance, we do not rely on the SQL server browser. This way if you have hidden SQL Servers Express editions you would be able to locate them 🙂 Also works for every other edition out there as well. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply