SQL Server Integration Services - Delay Validation

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Integration Services - Delay Validation

Raunak J

• What would have been nice if the role of ValidateExternalMetadata was included in the article and how it can work together with DelayValidation during design time.

For the rest, nice article.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Now, if you toggle the default value of the property Delay Validation and set it to true, the validation will be delayed and the package will not be validated at design time.

This is inaccurate. To skip design-time validation of the File System task, you would set the File System task's DelayValidation property to true. Doing so, does not affect the design-time validation of the rest of the package.

An accurate statement would be:

Now, if you set the value of the File System task's Delay Validation property to true, the validation will be delayed and the File System task will not be validated at design time.

Note also that setting the property at the package - or container - level will not affect the design-time validation of contained components ie: components do not inherit the DelayValidation property of their parents for design-time validation. Conversely, in run-time validation, components do inherit the property value from their parent. Moreover, a DelayValidation property value of true at the container level cannot be overridden at run-time by contained tasks or components.

Check out Arshad Ali's article on package validation[/url] for more on design-time and run-time validation.

• Another option would be to simply provide a default value for the user variable that holds your file name. This could be beneficial if you have "downstream" tasks in your ETL that reference the dynamic file name.

• andrew.diniz (3/8/2012)

Now, if you toggle the default value of the property Delay Validation and set it to true, the validation will be delayed and the package will not be validated at design time.

This is inaccurate. To skip design-time validation of the File System task, you would set the File System task's DelayValidation property to true. Doing so, does not affect the design-time validation of the rest of the package.

An accurate statement would be:

Now, if you set the value of the File System task's Delay Validation property to true, the validation will be delayed and the File System task will not be validated at design time.

Note also that setting the property at the package - or container - level will not affect the design-time validation of contained components ie: components do not inherit the DelayValidation property of their parents for design-time validation. Conversely, in run-time validation, components do inherit the property value from their parent. Moreover, a DelayValidation property value of true at the container level cannot be overridden by contained tasks or components.

Check out Arshad Ali's article on package validation[/url] for more on design-time and run-time validation.

Admitted. Thank you for pointing this out.

Raunak J

• The article should have mentioned that this is very useful for external data sources that would otherwise cause the user to have to wait for several minutes while all the data is validated. Without this, I haven't found a reason for turning the feature on.

• RonKyle (3/11/2012)

Without this, I haven't found a reason for turning the feature on.

So that the package doesn't crash when you use any kind of dynamic configuration?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• RonKyle (3/11/2012)

The article should have mentioned that this is very useful for external data sources that would otherwise cause the user to have to wait for several minutes while all the data is validated. Without this, I haven't found a reason for turning the feature on.

As Koen says, to support expressions which are valid only at run-time. In addition, setting the property to true will halve the time it takes to validate the component at run-time thereby reducing its overall execution time.

• Good to see all adding their views to make the article more clear and precise. Thank you.

Raunak J

• So that the package doesn't crash when you use any kind of dynamic configuration?

I have not had it crash. Sometimes it can't tell me it can't find a file name. We might have a different idea of what crash means.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply