SQL Server Instance is not coming UP after installation of SP2 in Failover Cluster environment.

• Hi,

Any help will be appreciated, I applied SP2 to three sql instances in three nodes cluster, they had SP1 before. Now 2nd and 3rd instance are fine but 1st instance is not coming UP.

I did failover test three of the instances between three nodes and all went fine except 1st instance. I got following error message in the email against 1st instance and after that i am keep getting messages every few minutes. What i can do to bring this instance Online, i have restarted the services of this 1st instance doing(bring this resource online) in cluster manager but it does not help. I have noticed that instance and all resources like Drives, they are coming On and Off mean goes down then come back UP and again goes down, it is repeating very fast like every few seconds or within less than a minute. in message xxxx=instance name

Firts Error Message:

Event found @xxxx-2

Time of Event: 12/18/2011 12:56:42 AM

JobID: 36817

Source Machine Name: xxxx

KS Name: 3672:SQL_Connectivity

Detail Message: SQL server Error: @xxxxx: SQLAvailability::GetServerReachability: exited: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'. Reason: Server is in script upgrade mode. Only administrator can connect at this time.

and after that below messages are keeping coming:

Detail Message: SQL server Error: @xxxx-2: SQLAvailability::GetServerReachability: exited: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Thanks

Irfan

• check the event log for any messages.

Take the group offline and then bring the resources up 1 at a time in the following sequence

1/ IP address

2/ Network name

3/ disk drives

4/ sql server service

5/ sql server agent

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Detail Message: SQL server Error: @xxxxx: SQLAvailability::GetServerReachability: exited: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'. Reason: Server is in script upgrade mode. Only administrator can connect at this time.

I wonder if you still have a problem or not?

The error is in fact more like a info message and totally normal after installing a servicepack on a cluster node. Once you restart the SQL cluster on that node a couple of upgrade scripts are executed and this process can take up to a couple of minutes. Usually once this is completed you can connect to your instance.

I agree that the message "Only administrator can connect at this time" is confusing, because in fact it makes not difference if you're an administrator or not, you simply canot connect during this process.

See also https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/416860/error-18401-after-starting-service-after-successfull-sp1-install

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Thank you very much every one, it has been resolved.

Just to share the solution:

The issue was the mismatch of directory folder. Under SQL Server properties the folder name for logs was LOG but in physical drive the folder name was LOGS so thats why instance was not coming UP and it went under upgrade mode. Once i changed the folder name from LOGS to LOG, the rest of the files of SP2 got applied in instance and instance came UP.

Thanks

Irfan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply