Sql server installation with minimum features

• I am going to release a new software which requires installation of sql server engine to work. So i am going to include sql server along with my application. But i want the size of the sql server setup as small as possible.This is because in all our customers(from india) have low speed internet connection so downloading 50 MB is also a big thing for them. So i want to keep the sql setup as small as possible. I require only basic sql server engine(sql full text search,ssms etc are not required).Any of other component of sql server are not needed. but it the sql server should be able to access from local and network.So multiconnection should be allowed.

So which sql server should i use? Already my software will work if sql server 2008 or 2005 express is installed. So do i have anything smaller than this which support my environment?

Thank you

• Have you looked into SQL Server Compact Edition?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I think comapct edition does not allow multiple connections to same database in network.I want database to be access through network simultaneously for atleast 5 to 10 users.

• winmansoft (1/17/2013)

I think comapct edition does not allow multiple connections to same database in network.I want database to be access through network simultaneously for atleast 5 to 10 users.

I am no expert on SQL CE but after some light reading it seems that if you need multiple users to be able to connect from different machines via the network and not via the data file itself (the sdf) then recommendation is to start with SQL Server Express Edition. If your clients can all connect to the same physical sdf file then SQL CE could support up to 256 concurrent users for you.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply