SQL Server hosting

• Apologies if this is the wrong forum:

I have been investigating various options for mssql hosting, a couple of the hosts i have talked to DO NOT allow connectivity via enterprise manager and only allow control through some sort of web based interface.

This seems ridiculous as my previous experiences using sql hosting of this kind are pure problematic regarding running a local test db then transferring to Live site. Is this normal or is this type of sql hosting poor?

I run my own dedicated server and running test and live sites is comparitively a breeze, i'm just wondering what is the norm regarding providing enterprise manager connectivity as to me it seems an essential requirement.

Your thoughts on this is greatly appreciated, as I am still only noobness at the whole sql server thiing

Regards,

Dan

• The main reason for this is because of the security implications with allowing SQL Server traffic across the firewall. In order to allow Enterprise Manager to connect directly to SQL Server, they have to expose SQL Server. With SQL Slammer and the previous worms before that, ISPs are more loathe to do so.

It's not just SQL Server, BTW. For instance, one of the service providers I deal with has MySQL support. They provide a web interface to it (MyPHPAdmin) as the main means to access. For advanced users with whom them have some measure of trust, they'll provide shell access (*nix) via SSH and one can administer MySQL in that manner. But they don't expose MySQL directly.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• So it is the "status quo" for web sql server administration to be done purely on sql scripts and file uploads/downloads?

Bugger. Is there any useful resources on adminstrating in this kind of environment? I am managing a sql db which is constantly under development, the duplicating from test site to live site, i can see will be a right pain.

• If you are this active, some ISPs provide a VPN solution so that you can tunnel in over VPN to connect to SQL Server. You may want to check if that's the case with yours.

I haven't kept up with the web interfaces out there for SQL Server but I know there efforts both to have an interface very close to Enterprise Manager and another to be very close to the MyPHPAdmin one.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Try maximumasp.com, i use them extensively. Their package comes with a Win2k3 web server as well though, so if you don't need that, it might not be good value.

• DiscountASP.net provide MS SQL hosting and they allow connections via Enterprise Manager.

• Ehostingbiz.com and readyhosting.com both support EM direct. I would say ehostingbiz.com is your best choice. 20$ a month get 150mb of web/sql combind. I like it.

• I have used http://www.hostmysite.com for 3 years after leaving http://www.brinkster.com. The http://www.hostmysite.com host provides a fast connection, high % uptime, and 24-7 customer service where they actually answer the phone. They have a great admin GUI too. I have SQL Server there and can connect with EM or QA just fine. I highly recommend them.

Mindy

• I've never been in the market for a web hoster, but there was an article posted here recently about a review of MyLittleAdmin. It is marketed towards hosters and has a front end that looks and feels very much like EM. It appears that mostly for security reasons you can't do everything from this that can be done via EM, but almost everything can be made available (hoster configures variable security). Anyhow, this may be an acceptable compromise in your case. The seller has a demo site that you can play with. I don't know if you knew about this or not, and if not was afraid you might treat every web based interace the same when this may be perfectly acceptable to you. Good luck. And like I said, I have no experience with this.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/AWilko/reviewmylittleadmin.asp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply