SQL Server Hardware

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Hardware

• Does anyone know the release date of the book yet? Ive been excitedly waiting all though Feb for the book to come out in some format and here we are in March and still no signs or updates 🙁

• stebennettsjb (3/2/2011)

Does anyone know the release date of the book yet? Ive been excitedly waiting all though Feb for the book to come out in some format and here we are in March and still no signs or updates 🙁

Yea, no fair keeping us waiting!! 🙂

The Redneck DBA

• Web page has updated to:

Download eBook (PDF): April 2011

so hopefully soon we can get a look 🙂

• Aprils about done and still no news 🙁

On a happier note. Mr Berry has been busy on hes blog doing a blog a day on hardware!

http://sqlserverperformance.wordpress.com

• I kinda was able to convert the .epub file over online but wasn't really an impressive conversion but if anyone would like to give it a try, then they could go for the website convertfiles.com, give it a try but be informed its not a pretty kind of a converted pdf but i am in for the juice not the package.

Thanks.

• The link given to download the free PDF does not work. Is there a newer link?

Thank you

Rosalind

• I have had a physical copy of this book for a few months now and love it. I recommended it in a presentation that I did for a SQL Saturday as a good resource for beginning and accidental DBAs to understand the physical needs of SQL Server and what effects changes to the hardware can have on performance. It also has a great section on benchmarking.

I had been away from the Windows world for seven years doing database development in a cross platform RDBMS named 4th Dimension and just about all of my work was done on Mac OS with the final solutions deployed on Mac and Windows. During that time I had lost track of changes in non-Mac related hardware. I did occasional work in SQL Server 2000 administration and design, but nothing where I had to deal with the hardware.

This book helped me get back on track with processors, chip sets and generally the changes in hardware.

-----------------
    Larry
    (What color is your database?)

• Link to PDF worked for me this morning (Nov 6th)

http://assets.red-gate.com/community/books/assets/sql-server-hardware-ebook.pdf

Thank you for the book, I'll give it a read

It's useful for any DBA who wasn't initially involved in the server hardware plan/purchase (me), especially if you have someone else or Windows team to handle that

Also keep in mind, CPU cores will factor into SQL 2012 licensing 🙁

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply