SQL Server Hardware

• For the first time in several years the boss gave the go ahead for a new SQL Server. I need "best practices" hardware selection advice. For example, up to now our SQL servers used a big RAID-5 array for both data and logs. I will certainly push for seperate SCSI controllers and HD systems for the data/log. (I'd also like a 1GB NIC card, 1GB RAM, but a dual CPU probably is needed.)

From a hardware perspective is there any other "required" hardware that I should include in my wish list?

TIA,

Bill

• Don't know about the 1GB NIC unless your network will support and the backbone can run at that speed. I would aim for as much ram as you can possibly support with 1GB being the minimum. Dual CPU's are nice at minimum but see if Quad is in your range. You get the best performance out of RAID 10 arrays as opposed to 5, I would try for 3 or more arrays (2+ for data and 1+ for logs). Make sure you get redundant power supplies (many times this is forgotten) and an ups. With any wish list take your current data and capcity needs and triple (some say double but some maintainence can cause these to grow, and you will have normal growth). If you are going to have a tape backup attached to this server find the fastest on the market so this is handled quickly. Also on that thought if you have a lot of databases you may want to get two on seperate controllers that way you can do simultaneous backups. It is hard to tell you what to consider without knowing what you need. I know Compaq has a program available to size a server out, not sure if anyone else does and I don't have the link (try http://www.activeanswers.com thou).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Good advice from Antares. My personal list:

At least 3 physical Arrays (not drives)

: RAID 1 - OS and SQL

: RAID 1 - Logs

: RAID 5 - Data

RAID 10 or 0+1 will give better performance, but more $$.

As much RAM as possible. These days, 512MB min.

Good NIC, 100 or 1GB, depends on your environment.

Definitely duplicate components as possible. Power Supplies are the main one here.

I try to leave room to grow, so buy a dual CPU box even if you only get one. If you get 2, you have to license 2, so keep that in mind. If you think you need 2, buy a quad and so on. Even if they are not populated, you have options.

Don't buy a box you max out. i.e. leave no room to grow. Don't by a DELL that supports 2GB of RAM and get 2GB. If it's not enough, you are stuck. Leave yourself some room.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I think you have to really look at the applications you're using before you decide on RAID 10. Im currently use RAID5 and having no issues. I agree about the multi processor, our last purchase was an 8 way box with Fibre Channel. Runs smooth! Hardware just doesnt cost what it used to, better to have the horsepower (or as Steve mentions, the option to add it). 1G NIC's are a lot cheaper than they used to be, I consider a good investment. I think we paid about $80k for 8 way Dell plus 10 disk FC array and the cabinet. Plus licensing of course. Worth every penny.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply