Sql server error randomly

• we have sql jobs running in sql server 2012 environment and it has linked server to sql 2017 server environment.  Randomly receiving the error below.  Rerunning the job complete successfully and this is not reproducible consistently.

Error Message: OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "server ip" returned message "Client unable to establish connection". Msg 10054, Level 16, State 1, Line 11 TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

if anyone could help or any input would be much appreciated.

thanks

shuaib

• you will most likely need to get your network/windows admins involved - there could be many reasons and none associated with SQL Server itself.

have a look at this google query which will give you some ideas/possibilities

• Any other errors in the log?  I imagine you are getting some error prior to that one which may help in troubleshooting and pointing you in the correct direction...

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• No errors in error log and event viewer.

• That is strange.  Generally, that error is accompanied by some other messages.  You checked both SQL instances for error messages and that is the only error message you see?  Not the windows event viewer error messages (although those should capture it as well), but the SQL logs on both instances?

If there are no other errors (which is strange, but not impossible), I would be looking at the network stack for connection issues.  Run some network diagnostic tools (your IT team should have some). Could be cable or switch issues.

How frequently does the problem occur?  You say it is random.  Are you talking about 1 case per year or 10 per day?  Are there other jobs running at the same time?  Is there any predictable thing with the failures (such as fails every Monday at 3:00 AM)?  If so, you should be able to run some metric collections (perfmon for example) and see what's happening.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply