SQL Server EM - MMC could not create the snap-in

• We are running SQL Server 2000 SP4 on a machine running Windows Server 2003. We are running a default instance of SQL Server 2000. There was a named instance of SQL Server 2005 on this same machine. I removed the named instance by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and manually removed the directory from the operating system. Now, when I go into Enterprise Manager for the default instance of SQL Server 2000 I receive the following error: "MMC could not create the snap-in."

Also when I try to go into SQL Server Network Utility, it displays a small box with an 'OK' button. The top of the box has a 0 (zero) and within the box there is the message "The operation completed successfully. The SQL Server Network Utility does not display.

Is there anyway to reinstall these two items or fix them by changing something in the Registry? I can get into Query Analyzer and it appears my databases are intact.

Thanks, Kevin

• I have resolved these issues with the following ms article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914157

Thanks, Kevin

• The KBA waffles on about SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components, which was not relevant to me. But following Method 2 in the article fixed the problem in no time.

• I have done the above methods and can't find resolution for the same.
    I resolve the same with re-installation of client-tools only.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply