SQL Server doesn't see Data drive

• This is a known issue especially if you are using VMWAre (I have encountered this on Citrix xen 6.0 as well).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2799534

It seems only the local system account can see the data drives. This is not a valid workaround if you are going to install an application database (like System Center or Biztalk ) where the SQL data base is created from an application installer (usually launched as a domain account).

So run SQL as local admin to work around this issue, however remember that all database have to be created by SQL if you want to use a different volume for storing your data files.

Other option (easier but not recomended on production) is to convert your disks to Dynamic in Windows 2012. This will enable SQL to see the drives.

For VMWAre please see the KB alisted above, you need to disable the HotAdd/HotPlug feature.

Right now it seems that SQL 2012 is a victim of some incompatability between Windows 2012 and existing Hyper-Visors (non Microsoft). So either wait for an update from VMWare/Citrix OR implement any of the above workarounds.

Hope this helps.

• The issue only seems to be affecting local disks too, all my windows 2012\sql server 2012 VMs are on ESX5.1 and are using iSCSI disks not VMWare virtual disks. I have not experienced this issue so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I was having this issue and it turned out to be a permissions issue on the Data disk.  Discovered issue when trying to set up backups, and only the C drive was showing as a save location.

I compared permissions the C drive had, and saw that it had localserver\users w\  read & execute, list folder contents, read permissions.  The D drive did not have this entry.  Once I added it, the D drive was available from SQL manager.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply