SQL Server does not exist

• Hi,

I have a process which runs every morning in a system, that picks up data from a server. But for the past two days, I find this error "[DBNETLIB][Connection Open()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied" when the code attempts to open the connection. I run a VB application...

The application is running quiet successfully for few years. But suddenly now this error has popped up.

I tried running the application from a different PC, to the same server, and it works fine. After googling I found it could be due to the versioning problem of DBNet.dll, but still i found the dlls in both the PCs are of the same version..

COuld anyone help me please?

• Hello,

The main question is what has changed since the time that the Application used to work?

If you don’t know then there are a few things to check:-

1) Is there a Firewall in between?

2) What protocol is the Application using e.g. TCP/IP?

3) Can you manually connect to the Server from the PC? With the Application's Credentials? With an Admin Sign-on?

4) Do you get an error code along with the error message?

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• have you rebooted the server recently?

• make sure both PC's are using the same client protocols (under SQL Server configuration Manager).

Also - is the SQL browser running?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply