SQL Server Default Constraints can be constants, functions or objects. What kind of objects other than functions?

• Here, Specify Default Values for Columns 

I see

To enter an object/function, enter the name of the object/function without quotation marks around it.

What kind of objects may be specified, other than constants or functions?

• gbritton1 - Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:28 AM

They worded this BOL entry poorly IMHO - the only "objects" you can use would be T-SQL scalar UDFs or a CLR Scalar UDF.
    Your options are an expression and or a T-SQL or CLR scalar UDF. I would not use a T-SQL scalar UDF for a constraint or computed column however - never. It will introduce some unexpected performance issues. Note this article: Another reason why scalar functions in computed columns is a bad idea. Though the article is not about scalar UDFs for default constraints - the same problems outlined will occur when using a scalar UDF for a default.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B - Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:40 PM

gbritton1 - Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:28 AM

They worded this BOL entry poorly IMHO - the only "objects" you can use would be T-SQL scalar UDFs or a CLR Scalar UDF.
    Your options are an expression and or a T-SQL or CLR scalar UDF. I would not use a T-SQL scalar UDF for a constraint or computed column however - never. It will introduce some unexpected performance issues. Note this article: Another reason why scalar functions in computed columns is a bad idea. Though the article is not about scalar UDFs for default constraints - the same problems outlined will occur when using a scalar UDF for a default.

Thanks Alan, I was thinking about DEFAULT constraints actually,  I see little harm in defaulting a date to GETDATE(), for example.  or am I missing something?

• gbritton1 - Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:02 AM

Alan.B - Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:40 PM

gbritton1 - Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:28 AM

Thanks Alan, I was thinking about DEFAULT constraints actually,  I see little harm in defaulting a date to GETDATE(), for example.  or am I missing something?

Nothing wrong with that.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply