SQL Server Database availability

• I'm looking for help in establishing an ODBC connection in Excel to an SQL Server database. I don't know too much about these connections and don't have any administrator privileges to make any changes with Server Management. Here is the background: We are using a software application that connects to the server database using SQL Server. I was able to establish a connection in Excel to the same database and create my own queries and manipulations in Excel since it was not an option in the application. The issue now is that I'm trying to recreate this on a different network and I'm not seeing the server from the drop down list in Excel (see attachment). The only difference I can see on my end is the server name is different. The database name is still the same and the software application connects to it as it supposed to. I'm wondering if the database is shared to only said specific application and if this is why I'm not able to see the server from Excel. I can navigate to the server folder that contains the database (\\servername) and this is where I'm at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated to add more functionality and ease of use.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Doesn't the dropdown permit you to type a name?

I'm sorry, I don't know where in Excel this dropdown may be hiding, so I can't test myself.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• It does allow for typing and the connection fails.

How I get to the drop down box in Excel 2016: Data tab, From other sources, From Microsoft Query, "<New Data Source>" & OK, Gave a generic name and selected "SQL Server" for the driver, Clicked on "Connect" and that is where I get hung up.

• So type the correct name. Don't forget the instance name, if it is a named instance.

You say that you are on a different network, so the server you are trying to connect to may not be accessible. You say that the application connects, but maybe it is connecting to a different server.

And that is about all I can say, since I don't know anything about your environment. You may have to talk to your admin to find out how things are set up.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply