SQL Server connection failing periodically

• Hi,

Not sure if this is the right board for it, but I'm not a SQL Server admin and only use it through Access.

I'm at my wit's end with this problem. We've got an Access project which is run on two computers simultaneously. Recently, the IP address of the SQL Server changed, so I updated it under the File:Connection setting on the project. For some reason, when I did this, the connection showed as being changed on one computer, but not the other; I had to change it on both - isn't connection specific to the Access project, not a computer?

Anyway, I changed the connection and now, every morning, one or both of the computers fails to connect to the SQL Server. Sometimes after a while and a few retries, it will connect again without intervention. Whenever I go to look at it and check the connection and so on, as soon as I've looked at it, it works. Sometimes neither computer connects and sometimes just one connects (today when this happened, it was the computer that logged onto the database first). The connection information is all correct. It's happening every day. There's nothing wrong with the SQL Server as it's working fine elsewhere. I tried going back to an old backup of the project but that didn't solve the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there anywhere else I should have changed the address of the SQL Server?

Thanks!

• Heres a stab in the dark

My system here - we connect access<->sql server using IP addresses, on 100's of machines. Fine.

Except for mine For some reason if I dont set up my connection using \\servername\ instead of an IP the connection runs so slowly that beards grow while waiting for something to happen. No idea why. (Cant push out \\servername\ to everyone else for their connections, as for some reason it does the opposite, some of the our client machines run super slow unless its by IP)

So maybe thats something you could try looking at - see if its a more general network connection issue.

many thanks

martin

• Hmm, that's interesting. As it happens, those computers used to access the SQL Server via IP address, but I changed it to the server name instead after the IP address/firewall changed. I didn't think my current problem was related as I changed the address to the same thing on computers in a different lab, and they worked fine, but from what you say, it could be an issue on some machines and not others. Cool! Thanks heaps for your answer!

-Bec

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply