SQL server Connection being forcibly closed.

• Hi all,

I have noticed that SQL connections are being forcibly closed on one of my database boxes, it is also preventing backups from being completed.

If one connects to the database and leaves the connection on for 30 minutes, in this time the connection would have been closed and if one tries to run the any query in the SQL management studio query console, the following error message is received:

Msg 10054, Level 20, State 0, Line 0

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)

One thing I would say is that last week I changed the startup parameter to add a –g flag to it, as my backups were failing and from m experience with my other databases, increasing the default memory allocation using the –G flag normally cures the problem. There has been no hardware changes of late, and on looking at the Error log, I cant see anything that raises an alarm.

Now, even user connections are being closed after a few minutes, would anyone be able to help here.

Thanks.

• there could be several causes of this bad behaviour

1. network glitches

2. SQL glitches

3. SQL config

4. hostile code

from your description the problem has got worse so it sounds like 1.

- any time TCP connection is broken, your user session will get bombed

- obviously will not apply to connection from local console so try backups from there

I am not aware of other standard settings that deliberately cause idle SPIDs to be KILL'ed

- perhaps some GPO or 3rd-party tools might do such (and virusses could do similar)

certainly the gemlins will leave footprints in the Windows EventLog and/or SQL logs

- you should be able to diagnose from there

HTH

Dick

• I have been receiving the same error message all day when I have been trying to execute modified procedure scripts (including create/update SQL jobs) on the SQL Server machine from Management Studio.

I disabled the Symantec Network Threat Protection on both, my machine as well as the SQL Server machine.. and it now runs fine!!

Could that be the only issue? Or is this going to crop up again? Because.. I'm not entirely sure if this was the cause. When I googled this error I could see several other reasons and explanations. Nowhere did it mention anything about an anti-virus sooftware.

Any clue, people?

• I know this is old post, but did anyone try solutions in this KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919710

Thanks,

Phil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply