SQL Server Colation

• is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS_KS_WS a valid sql server Colation and

can a server instance with Colation Latin1_General_BIN support such a Colation.

• sqlserverDBA2016 (11/10/2016)

is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS_KS_WS a valid sql server Colation and

can a server instance with Colation Latin1_General_BIN support such a Colation.

Quick question, is this a SharePoint database?

😎

AFAIK, SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS_KS_WS is not a valid collation on SQL Server 2014/2016 as this query does not return anything

SELECT

x.name

,x.description

FROM sys.fn_helpcollations() x

WHERE x.name = 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS_KS_WS';

Further, you can always try

CREATE DATABASE [collstest]

CONTAINMENT = NONE

ON PRIMARY

( NAME = N'collstest', FILENAME = N'C:\SQLDATA\collstest.mdf' , SIZE = 8192KB , FILEGROWTH = 65536KB )

LOG ON

( NAME = N'collstest_log', FILENAME = N'C:\SQLLOG\collstest_log.ldf' , SIZE = 8192KB , FILEGROWTH = 65536KB )

COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS_KS_WS

GO

• Yes it is a shared point database, and are you telling me that with swl server 2014 I won't be able to have this colation, in that case what do I need

• sqlserverDBA2016 (11/11/2016)

Yes it is a shared point database, and are you telling me that with swl server 2014 I won't be able to have this colation, in that case what do I need

From MS Support :Supportability regarding SQL collation for SharePoint Databases and TempDB

😎

β€œThe SQL Server collation must be configured for case-insensitive. The SQL Server database collation must be configured for case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, Kana-sensitive, and width-sensitive. This is to ensure file name uniqueness consistent with the Windows operating system.”

However, we do not support changing the default collation (Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS) for SharePoint databases to any other collations (CI, AS, KS, WS).

We support any CI collation for the SQL instance (for master, tempdb databases). However we recommend using Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS as the instance default collation (master, tempdb databases).

• OK thanks, does that mean that the colation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS_KS_WS is not supported in SQL server and not the right one for share point

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply