SQL Server Clustering and Virtual Server

• We recently clustered 2 nodes, SQL Server 2005 on 2 boxes running Windows server 2008. Everything works fine, and the only minor problem that I am running into is that the virtual server somehow publishes itself on the Network as the name of the physical node but not the actual virtual server name. We are able to connect ot the virtual server from management studio or other applications and we are not having any connectivity problems, but when I use different applications like SSIS or SQL Compare to connect to the virtual server, when I to browse for the server name, it only detects the physical node where the vistual server resides and in some cases like in SSIS, it does not allow you to manually key in the name of the server ... I was thinking at first that this might have to do with the preferred owner setting... I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,

Sean

• I can't tell you why the virtual server name can't be detected, but I can tell you that it's never been a problem for me, since I always type the server name, even in SSIS. Where exactly yuo can't type the server name in SSIS?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Thank you for the reply. I tried using SSIS transfer SQL Jobs task, and I had problems typing the Server Name.

• In the Transfer Jobs task I simply pick a connection, on which I could easily type the server name.

Can you attach a screenshot of your problem?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Im not sure if the issue you are seeing is the same problem that i had. I just built a sql 2008/win 2008 cluster but the problem also existed in sql 2005. it primarily affects ssis. there is a file MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml located here D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn or where ever yours may be.

If you installed a named instance this is especially problematic. In that file you will see a area with a "." in it which is referring to the default instance. you could change the "." to your sql virtual server name\instance name instead and give it a name like instance's msdb or similar.

look at this page for reference. http://dougbert.com/blogs/dougbert/archive/2009/04/09/ssis-and-clustering-what-you-should-do-instead.aspx .

I have 3 instances so far and the above info works perfectly now.

If this is not your problem then perhaps it will help someone else in the future.

db

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply