SQL Server Browser & DAC

• Do you mean the SQL Browser Service?

• The comment is cut and pasted from the DAC section of BOL also, i'm confused :ermm:

• This may interest some people, I think the video that goes with it is available on the PASS website http://www.sqlpass.org/, the artical goes into situations when you would use the DAC and what you can do in advance to help yourself.

http://www.brentozar.com/firstresponder/

• Koen Verbeeck (6/13/2012)

L' Eomot Inversรฉ (6/13/2012)

..., rather than assuming one of those arrogant developer-hating sql-hating know-nothing DBAs?

Hmmm, do I sense some frustration? ๐Ÿ˜€

No, not frustration. DBAs like that can, when I meet them, induce not frustration but a very bloody-minded fury. Any frustration I felt about DBAs evaporated decades ago.

Not frustration, because mostly I've been in jobs where I've had control of developer and dba recruitment, so that type could only frustrate me by wasting my time scanning their CVs and I've long recovered from that. ๐Ÿ˜€ Even when I didn't have full control, I usually had a recruitment veto (since the late 70s, anyway, and I didn't meet any DBAs before then) so my main frustration was with my inability to get them to get existing junior DBAs to learn to be competent - that was before I realised that some people are just plain unable to learn technical stuff (and others, like myself, are just plain unable to learn literary criticism or how to be kind to and patient with obstructive red-tape wallahs, despite those abilities being just as important as the ones I have and some others don't).

But know-it-all know-nothing DBAs do exist - and although they don't get a chance to frustrate me they do infuriate me when I encounter them; they hold their jobs by being good at propaganda, at CYA, and denigating anyone who is actually competent as a DBA, and get away with it because too many companies have totally non-technical management. It's entirely analagous to politicians in our democracies - they survive only because the electorate is incompetent at evaluating politicians; maybe someday we will relearn the lessons that the French learnt between the middle of 1787 and September 1793, and the establishment will cease to be a problem; of course that applies to DBAs of a certain calibre, as well as to most politicians.

edit:1793, not 1783. I think it was the 5th when the reign of terror founded on the good Joseph-Ignace's invention is usually accepted as beginning, although the device had been used on occassion before.

Tom

• SQLDBA360 (6/13/2012)

Do you mean the SQL Browser Service?

+1 ๐Ÿ™‚

Personally I've just started working with Service Broker... I was a little confused, but then I realized he meant SQL Browser ๐Ÿ™‚

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• L' Eomot Inversรฉ (6/13/2012)

I suspect the point he is attempting to make is that a competent administrator will succede, not fail, because if he knows the port numbers he can connect using sqlcmd. Service Broker is just one option for knowing the port numbers, there are others.

Incidentally, I think the choice of a Service Broker page as the reference for this question is a bad one; when that page says you can't use DAC it actually means that you can't use DAC if you use SB to get the port numbers. A reference to a page about DAC would have been better.

+1 ๐Ÿ™‚ and this is why I got it wrong. My initial reaction was... "And why can't I? If I know the ports there are always ways to get in."

I would have been very seriously concerned if Microsoft didn't support some way into DAC without the SQL Browser Service.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• mtassin (6/13/2012)

SQLDBA360 (6/13/2012)

Do you mean the SQL Browser Service?

+1 ๐Ÿ™‚

Personally I've just started working with Service Broker... I was a little confused, but then I realized he meant SQL Browser ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, of course. My mistake :blush:. I have that disabled (and no Broker).

Edit: I'm crazy:- I abbreviate both As SB - maybe I should stop doing that, it appears to have left me mixing them up.

Tom

• In my server the browser is disabled. and the port is 5555

Server is listening on [ 'any' <ipv4> 5555].

Dedicated admin connection support was established for listening remotely on port 1434.

I can able to connect via DAC.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• interesting questions - cheers

• muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (6/13/2012)

In my server the browser is disabled. and the port is 5555

Dedicated admin connection support was established for listening remotely on port 1434.

@Muthukkumaran: You will be. The question is for non-default ports (i.e. other than 1433 and 1434)

Thanks & Regards,
    Nakul Vachhrajani.
    http://nakulvachhrajani.com

Follow me on
    Twitter: @sqltwins

• Nakul Vachhrajani (6/13/2012)

muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (6/13/2012)

@Muthukkumaran: You will be. The question is for non-default ports (i.e. other than 1433 and 1434)

Yes, but chances are big the admin will know which non-default ports are used - or how to find them as Tom explained - so any decent admin should be able to login with DAC. Ergo, the correct answer for this question might not be correct. It depends on the skill of the admin in question ๐Ÿ™‚

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• L' Eomot Inversรฉ (6/13/2012)[hrI suspect the point he is attempting to make is that a competent administrator will succede, not fail, because if he knows the port numbers he can connect using sqlcmd. Service Broker is just one option for knowing the port numbers, there are others.

+1

Any competent administrator, knowing the port numbers, will succeed.

At least some widely skilled administrators have a variety of ways of finding the port numbers, including but not limited to:

1) Hey, JuniorDBA: Try to connect to the instance or the DAC. Start at port 1 and work your way up until you get a connection, then figure out what you connected to.

2) Check your documentation for the port numbers

3) Check the log files for the port numbers

4) SQLPing

5) netstat -a -b -n

6) Sysinternals TCPView

7) NMAP or another port-scanning utility

• Thanks for the question, Nakul.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • Nakul Vachhrajani (6/13/2012)

muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (6/13/2012)

Got it Nakul.

Thanks for info/QA.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Hi Nakul,

I know I am a little late to the party, but it does seem like a competent DBA would check the logs to find the DAC port for each instance.

It seems like a command context should have been included if you were assuming the connection attempt would use the default port (1434).

Thank you for the question.

Ken Garrett

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply