sql server books

• I am just starting out in the database field.

I am taking oracle in college. I understand that sql server is what everyone is turning to.I want to be able to get my mcdba certification. I am all about cheap so I am going to do this through self study. I need some advice on the best way to get my cert. and what books to get.

Thanks,

Ken

• I have been programming in C and Unix for four years before changing to SQL server.

Personally I have always considered the Microsoft training books to be the best to start of with. Then perhaps I would get one of the wrox books to give you a more detailed and industry insight.

• MSPress has some good books, just not necessarily the ones on certification. Sybex usually has pretty good cert prep books as does ExamCram. The Transcender CD's are also good. Sometimes you can pick up the books used to save some money. Even if you full price its tons cheaper than going to a series of exam prep classes.

Im sure you know, but let me say this anyway - passing the tests isnt enough, you have to know SQL to get a SQL job. There is a lot of stuff not tested that is pretty important. Studying for the exams will force you to learn a lot, but there is still more to go after that. That's when books like Inside SQL Server from MSPress, Programming SQL Server from Wrox, Transact SQL from Apress, etc...help you grow further.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Yes, get used books at Amazon. When you search a book, they show who's selling used ones. I've bought 7 books in the last two weeks ALL under $10.00. Last week there was a SQL Server 2000 Administration book that someone had listed for a penny (plus $3.49 shipping). I can't imagine why, but I jumped on that one.

A good study guide is Syngress' MCDBA Administering SQL Server 2000 Study Guide, and includes a decent simulation exam om CD. But for cheap, I just looked on Amazon and saw the MCSE Readiness Review Exam 70-028: Administering Microsoft Sql Server 7.0 book by Microsoft USED for $4.85. It's 7.0, but for 5 bucks you'll be headed in the right direction.

• You can test on http://www.mcsebraindumps.com

• For cheap, you can get a 120-day FREE trial of SQL server. If you run out of your 120 days, format your hard drive and reinstall it (no kidding) and keep going. You'll get an excellent set of online books that has everything in it you will need to get certified.

Check out mcsebraindumps.com to fine tune the areas you will be tested on. Don't rely on the braindumps and don't memorize answers. Look up every question you don't know the answer to.

The world is not moving to SQL server as much and Microsoft would like you to think that. I use Oracle and DB2 as much as SQL server. What you need to know is data modelling techniques, set theory and some common sense (Why can't I store 4gazillion rows here?)

Certification won't guarantee a job. Experience will.

• I personally like the Exam Cram and other exam related books from Wrox Press. Find them usefull even after the test.

• If you just want to install Books Online for studying (without installing SQL Server) you can go to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp

Best,

Susan

My Weblog about studying for MS 70-229 (Notes and Links)

http://ix.1sound.com/dbagirl

• I remember the "Inside" series as the one that stands out in my mind as most useful to me. I read a lot of books about SQL (bout as fast as they come out) and was very impressed with these as a learning aid.

Don1941 said a mouthful when he said:

Check out mcsebraindumps.com to fine tune the areas you will be tested on. Don't rely on the braindumps and don't memorize answers. Look up every question you don't know the answer to.

If you haven't taken these types of tests before, you will be in for a good surprise if you don't follow his suggestion. If you have taken these types of tests before, you already know why.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply