SQL Server backup fails with network UNC share

• I am currently trying to take backup of a database to a network UNC share, but its giving me error.

I have two PCs connected in a simple NETWORK, not a domain. From both pcs, I can easily create and edit files on either one.

One PC on which SQL SERVER is running and database files are located, is named SERVER.

Another PC on which I want to take backup, is named STUDENT-PC2. On this pc, drive d: is a shared drive and I set the full permission for this folder for Everyone, IUSER,NETWORK,NETWORK SERVICE

When I run following command from SQL SERVER MANAGEMENT STUDIO on SERVER, it throws me error as below.

I am running sql server service as NETWORK SERVICE

COMMAND

backup database dpmt to disk='\\STUDENT-PC2\d\DPMT_BACKUP_17032016_102719.Bak'

ERROR

Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot open backup device '\\STUDENT-PC2\d\DPMT_BACKUP_17032016_102719.Bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

• Hi

Local System or Network Service are the system accounts which have no network access.

The SQL Server service must be started using a domain user account to access any resources on a remote computer, please verify that the SQL Server service is started under a domain account that has write access.

Br.

Mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply