SQL Server backup error. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified

• I have an Azure drive mapped to SQL Server 2014.

I have verified that SQL Server is using a service account called SQLBI and this account has SA access to the server and SQL Server and this account sees the azure drive which is mapped as the B drive.

When I try to backup to this drive using SQL Server, however, I get the following error.

Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Cannot open backup device 'B:\SQL\test.bak'. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.). Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I see the drive in windows explorer as well as the B:\SQL\ folder, but for some reason, SQL Server does not.

Seems as if this is some sort of security issue but I can not resolve it.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• so the drive is mapped as you as you see it in explorer, the service account won't see that drive mapping.
    Mappings are per user not server wide

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• We use an Active Directory account called SQLBI, The SQL Server Service is set to this account.  When I log into the SQL Server using this account I can see the drive in windows explorer, however, I get the error message above when I try to backup manually or via a job logged in as SQLBI or any other account.

Again I can see the drive, but for some reason, SQL Server appears unable to see the drive.

• I am willing to bet the drive is mapped at logon.
    So when the service account runs the job, it is not mapped as the account doesn't initiate a logon.

Use the UNC path and the error will likely go away.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply