SQL SERVER AUDIT TOOL

• Hi

I need a tool that will scan by network for SQL servers across subnets.

OSQL -L seems to have varied results in my environment. Is there a tool that will do rhis as my servers sit in around 4 different subnets.

OSQL -L seems to miss some servers that I clearly know are on my network. WHY?

• there's a good article here on SSC by Brian Kelly that covers allof the tools i've ever used for finding sql servers:

Tools I Use to Scan for SQL Servers[/url]

things like SQLPing and SQLRecon use multiple methods to find the servers.

I've personally used SQLRecon, and like it the most; the SQLPing link looks like it changed, and you might have to google it.

OSQL -L find servers that have a SQL Browser advertising them, i think; so it can miss a lot.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Execellent response.

Cheers.

• Do you have a link for a trusted website which will have SQLPING or SQLRECON ready to be downloaded.

• Got it.

No read me file to know what the options are.

• Finding SQL servers can get interesting. By far the best way is using methods that find the service and/or the executable, i.e. some of the SQLPing modes, and commands like

wmic /node:"OneIPAddressOrHostnameAtATime" service where (caption like "%sql server (%")

These all, of course requires high permissions on the target server.

nmap only finds servers with a port it's looking for (most modes won't find named instances or other sql server installs using dynamic ports), and only those responding to TCP/IP (many Express and Developer installs, at least, disable TCP/IP).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply