SQL Server and VMWare

• I am hoping there is some sollective knowledge about this that I can tap into.

My Infrastructure guys want to virtualize the Database that the VMWare databases sit on.

Now I do not claim to be even remotely knowledgeable of VMWare but this seems like putting the chicken before the egg.

I am comfortable with running SQL in a virtual server but should we really have the vmware database running in a virtual server?

does anyone have this type of configuration or just have any thoughts on the matter?

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Our VMware database sits on a physical cluster but I don't see a reason why it couldn't be a VM. Just make sure the Infrastructure guys have sufficient redundancy built into the ESX clusters so that if a physical host the VM is sitting on dies it can VMotion to another host.

Without the VMware database Virtual Center won't work and ESX hosts would have to be managed manually until you could get the VM housing the VMware database back up.

• Our's is on a VM server. I trust the NT group enough that they have built in sufficient redundancy (the VM server that VMWare sit's on is virtually clustered). On our side, we run backups and log-ship the DB to DR.

I really don't see an issue with the DB on a VServer, provided you have a DR solution (An HA and DR solution that can quickly come online)

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• One thing that might help: just because the server is a VM doesn't have to mean that it's sharing resources with anything else. Our VM servers are set up that way so our guys can move them around as needed, but on the beefier ones they have - the CPU's lined up for the SQL Server are dedicated (i.e. they host one single VM instance at a time).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thanks to everyone for the replies. It helps alot to know what others are doing.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• ours are on physical by design.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply