SQL server and SQL agent will not start on both nodes in Active to Active SQL 2005 SP3 x64 Enterprise cluster on Windows 2008 x64 after applying KB958644

• Yes, the service needs to be running in order to add the login.

• that is the problem in itself, i cannot get the services to start in SQL, i can get them started in services.msc but i get the same error when i try an add NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM into the sysadmin role in sql.

Again all of this was working prior to the conficker patch installation. i think i'm going to try microsoft, see if they can help.

• If the service starts using services.msc, can't you log on to the cluster node, fire up SSMS, connect to the instance and add the account that way?

• i can try that but i still cannot connect via SSMS as even though the services are started in services.msc they are not started in SQL SCM which is where you are supposed to stop and start them.

I get this error connecting via SSMS: when I try an add NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM to the sysadmin role in sql server user provisioning i get the error:

a network-related or instance-specific error occured while establishing a connection to sql server. the server was not found or was not accessible. verfiy the instance name is correct and that sql is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: sql network interfaces, error: 26 - error locating server/instance specified)

Interestingly the company i work for doesn't seem to have a support contract with MS but after phoning 3-4 numbers i finally got through to someone and seeing as though a patch broke my cluster, MS are going to take on my support call for free. I will keep you updated as soon as they phone back

• MS phoned me back on Friday and I got them connected to my server for over an hour.... still no resloution yet. I have sent him sql and app log files and a config report which they asked me to run. The SQL support analyst is looking over my logs etc and we will pick this up on Tuesday as its a bank holiday here in London on Monday. I will keep the forum updated.

• Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue with SQL 2008 on a Win2008 cluster.

Thanks

Charlie

• yes as a matter of fact I ended up working this out for myself. I had logged the fault with MS which was going onto its third department in the escalation process with no sign of any resolution. I will briefly explain the steps I took and tell you a little bit about our environment to see if it can help you.

Basically we got hit with the conficker virus so we had to patch all our servers with KB958644 and also we applied GPO as per MS site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007

So in order to fix my sql cluster issue (and in fact even to install the SQL cluster) you must

> reverse the above GPO if you have already applied it (as simply taking it out of the OU and running gpupdate will not reverse it)

> uninstall KB958644 on both nodes in your cluster, reboot

> now this is the bit that fixed my problem, i ran a command to reset the locat security policy on both servers (nodes) in my cluster which is this for windows 2008 (its slight different for windows 2003) secedit /configure /cfg c:\windows\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

> i then rebooted, and made sure my cluster was working again

> then I reapplied the patch kb958644

> then ofcourse the cluster wouldn't start again so I re ran the above command on both nodes in my cluster, rebooted again and it all works

I hope this helps you let me know if you need anything else and I have just got off the phone to MS and explained to them what I did. They had this problem for over a week and couldn't help. cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply