SQL Server AlwaysOn among two data centers with auto failover

• Hi,

Here is the business requirement:

1. Two physical data centers in two different locations.
    2. Business wants to have automatic SQL Server failover capability between the two sites if one of the sites goes down.  (Example, network failure).
    3. Application database connection can only point to one IP address for accessing the database.

2 Nodes and a witness share solution
    If I put Primary Node and a witness share at site A, Secondary Node at site B.  It does not have auto failover if site A goes down due to not having majority of the votes in the quorum.

3 Nodes and a witness share solution
    I don't think I can achieve auto failover between the two sites because I now have even votes.

4 Nodes and a witness share solution
    Now I go back to the 2 nodes and a witness share solution where if one site goes down, the other site can't come online due to not having majority of the votes in the quorum. 

Have anyone have any idea how I can achieve auto failover using AlwaysOn between two data centers?

• dcw8888 - Wednesday, August 2, 2017 11:34 AM

2 Nodes and a witness share solution
    If I put Primary Node and a witness share at site A, Secondary Node at site B.  It does not have auto failover if site A goes down due to not having majority of the votes in the quorum.

In this situation, a disconnect between site A and site B would leave services running on site A. For this scenario you should place thhe witness on a 3rd location

dcw8888 Wednesday, August 2, 2017 11:34 AM

3 Nodes and a witness share solution
    I don't think I can achieve auto failover between the two sites because I now have even votes.

If you have 3 nodes you don't need a witness, you are running with Majority Node Set quorum

dcw8888 Wednesday, August 2, 2017 11:34 AM

4 Nodes and a witness share solution
    Now I go back to the 2 nodes and a witness share solution where if one site goes down, the other site can't come online due to not having majority of the votes in the quorum. 

Have anyone have any idea how I can achieve auto failover using AlwaysOn between two data centers?

using Failover Cluster Instances or Availability Groups?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply