Sql Server agent wont start - Urgetnt

• This is very weird. It's not the typical error most of you are getting. Exact error 'could not start sql server agent service on local computer. Service did not return an error. Could be an internal or system error' Any ideas at all?

• Is this a new install or fairly old. Also does it use System Account for startup or a specified user account and password. If the later could someone have inadvertently dropped the account or changed the password or possible the password was set to expire and you just happen to restart after this. Lastly have you made any changes to the box (SP installs, moved from Domain to Active Directory Service, anything at all).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks for the response. No, nothing changed at all. It's an old install..I really dont think it's an account error. It's a very non descriptive error. Very urgent & I have ideas what's causing this. It's holding back replication

quote:

Is this a new install or fairly old. Also does it use System Account for startup or a specified user account and password. If the later could someone have inadvertently dropped the account or changed the password or possible the password was set to expire and you just happen to restart after this. Lastly have you made any changes to the box (SP installs, moved from Domain to Active Directory Service, anything at all).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• The supplied error message, is this the error message in the SQL Agent error log?

• Have you rebooted? Did this start today? Was it working ever? When was it working?

Something changed.

check the account under which it runs. Try running it as LocalSystem and see what happens.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• The agent error log is 'unable to connect to server (local);sqlserver agent cannot start

quote:

The supplied error message, is this the error message in the SQL Agent error log?

• We rebooted & it still didnt work. Well now we are not sure if it ever worked (I just started with this project) I think the guy who said "it worked last week" was talking about mssqlservr service. But I dont think it's permissions

Have you rebooted? Did this start today? Was it working ever? When was it working?

Something changed.

check the account under which it runs. Try running it as LocalSystem and see what happens.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

[/quote]

• Since it is barking specifically about the error log then the path defined in SQLAgents properties might be wrong. This generally happens if the database has been moved since it was first created but masy not be the only reason.

Open Enterprise Manager.

Exand thru ServerGroup/Server/Management/SQL Server Agent select properties.

Then Right click on SQL Server Agent and select Properties.

On the general tab check the error log path that is shown.

If neccessary correct it.

Then let us know what you come up with.

• Hmmm, maybe...ur right thats its been moved a few times...& ur right the path is invalid...It's a production system..cant touch it now...think that may fix it?

quote:

Since it is barking specifically about the error log then the path defined in SQLAgents properties might be wrong. This generally happens if the database has been moved since it was first created but masy not be the only reason.

Open Enterprise Manager.

Exand thru ServerGroup/Server/Management/SQL Server Agent select properties.

Then Right click on SQL Server Agent and select Properties.

On the general tab check the error log path that is shown.

If neccessary correct it.

Then let us know what you come up with.

• Just to give proper respect. I had to dig a bit on the web and this was the answer found at http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/sqlserver/sqlsvrtroubleshooting.htm which may have come from another source but I got it from there.

• Nope, that directory exists....planB?

quote:

Just to give proper respect. I had to dig a bit on the web and this was the answer found at http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/sqlserver/sqlsvrtroubleshooting.htm which may have come from another source but I got it from there.

• Not yet, but I'll keep looking.

• I dont know if this is related, but we are also having problems installing service pak2

quote:

Just to give proper respect. I had to dig a bit on the web and this was the answer found at http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/sqlserver/sqlsvrtroubleshooting.htm which may have come from another source but I got it from there.

• I know it's a pain, but can you post all the vlaues from the Agent properties tab?

Also, where is SQL installed? physical path.

Did SP1 get installed?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Pain? are u kidding... ur helping me....do u want all the tabs or anythin particular?

quote:

I know it's a pain, but can you post all the vlaues from the Agent properties tab?

Also, where is SQL installed? physical path.

Did SP1 get installed?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply