SQL Server Agent Won''t Start

• We just upgraded our SQL Server server OS from Windows 2003 Standard Edition to Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. This morning, the server was rebooted after all security pathces had been applied to the new OS. However, SQL Server did not automatically start up and had to be manually started. The SQL Server log had the following error message when it attempted auto restart:

Process ID 55 attempting to unlock unowned resource KEY: 39:2:1 (be007970ec92)..

Error: 1203, Severity: 20, State: 1

SQL Server is aborting. Fatal exception 0 caught..

However, once I manually started SQL Server everything appeared normal and the log showed no problems. But, even though SQL Server Agent appeared to have started, I got the following error when trying to open a job.

Error 14258: Cannot perform this operation while SQL Server Agent is starting. Try again later.

When I checked the SQL Server Agent error log, I saw the following informational message:

[350] Waiting for SQL Server to start...

After stopping SQL Server Agent, I tried restarting it from the command prompt and got this reply:

2005-04-15 09:54:01 - ? [094] SQLServerAgent started from command line

2005-04-15 09:54:01 - ! [359] The local host server is not running

2005-04-15 09:54:01 - ! [000] Unable to connect to server ''; SQLServerAgent cannot start

2005-04-15 09:54:01 - ? [098] SQLServerAgent terminated (normally)

Do you have any ideas what is going on here? Since this is a production server, I haven't tried to stop and start SQL server or reboot the server just yet, since I'm not sure that would correct the problem.

Thanks

• Finally, I broke down and restarted SQL Server over lunch. That did the trick and everything seems to be working normally once again.

Thanks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply