SQL Server Agent stopped unexpectedly

• SQL Server 2005 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 SP2

Last night SQL Server Agent stopped unexpectedly and despite having the 'Auto restart if stops unexpectedly' option set it failed to restart. The SQL Server Agent runs as a domain account and has done for some time with no problems. The relevant section of the Windows Application log is attached. The SQL Server log shows that the job which runs every 15 minutes to back up transaction logs last ran at 20:45:05 (and was successful) and the SQL Server Agent log shows nothing until I manually started the service this morning.

Can anyone point me in a sensible direction for working out what happened and preventing it from happening again?

Thanks

--
    Scott

• Which/what account are you using to run the SQL Service?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• It's another domain account.

--
    Scott

• I should point out that although the SQL Server service kept running, a user who was online at 20:45 has since reported to me that his database access appeared to hang for a couple of minutes but then continued as normal.

--
    Scott

• Have run into this problem in the past too.

Does the domain account have Administrator privileges?

From books online - SQL 2005 - (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143691(SQL.90).aspx):

The SQL Server Agent account must have administrator privileges if you create CmdExec and ActiveScript jobs that belong to someone other than a SQL Server administrator, or if you use the AutoRestart feature. If the above features are requirements in your environment, consider using separate service accounts for the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services.

HTH

• Aha! I've added the SQL Server Agent to the Administrators group on the server, which should do the trick. I believe I'll probably never know what caused the service to stop, but is there a way of terminating the SQL Server Agent unexpectedly on purpose to see if it will restart?

--
    Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply