SQL Server Agent Stopped State

• I have a local install of SQL Developer Edition, which I upgraded from SQL Express. Just recently I've changed the way I work on this and I'd like to schedule a couple of test jobs, I went down to the SQL Server Agent in Management Studio and it had a nasty red cross over it... nothing doing.

So... after some Google searching I opened the SQL Configuration Manager and attempted to start the SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER), this didn't work.

I read on here a few days ago that starting the service in Control Panel and THEN starting the service in the Config Manager would work, I tried this and it looked promising, it runs for a while then I get 'The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details'

This morning I popped in the SQL Developer disk and went for a repair, opting to repair the Shared Features (thinking the Agent would fall under this, as it said to repair 'Management tools' go for shared features.

I booted up Management studio and the agent was fine, for about 2 seconds, then the red cross returned. I tried starting the service again (both via Config Manager and Control Panel), still the same problem.

Does anyone know what I can do next to attempt to fix this? It's going to be quite a problem if I can't run any test jobs!

Any help much appreciated.

• Check windows event viewer you will be getting some error message their.

Send that error message to us.

Thanks,
    GG;-)

• Unless there's a more detailed SQL log somewhere the one from Windows Logs -- System isn't that interesting:

In the Application Log at 10:25:08

"SQLServerAgent service successfully started."

In the System Log at 10:25:10

"The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 7 time(s)."

I've just spotted 'error logs' in SSMS though and I can see this one:

"Date24/01/2012 10:25:08

LogSQL Server Agent (Current - 24/01/2012 10:25:00)

[298] SQLServer Error: 229, The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_sqlagent_has_server_access', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (ConnIsLoginSysAdmin)"

A quick Google suggests the account the service runs as 'Network Service' could be the problem...

• I've changed the service to from network service to a local admin account, I've then added this local admin account into SQL Logins and given it the sysadmin role, this *seems* to allow the agent to run successfully... I think!

• Yes change the account of sql server agent via SQL configuration manger and make it same as SQL Server

Thanks,
    GG;-)

• Rob-350472 (1/24/2012)

I've changed the service to from network service to a local admin account, I've then added this local admin account into SQL Logins and given it the sysadmin role, this *seems* to allow the agent to run successfully... I think!

It is important to make sure that you change the service account using SQL Configuration Manager, as it will add the proper security for the user. There are also other things that the configuration manager does that will not be done if you change it in the services.msc window.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Hmm, I'd best go and have a look at that then. Thanks for the heads up there, at the moment I just changed the account it's using via Services and then added this account to Logins in SSMS. I'll give SQL Configuration Manager a look in two ticks.

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply