SQL Server agent jobs

• Hi everyone.

Getting this error when ever I try to create a job in SQL 2005 sp 2

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Unable to cast object of type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SimpleObjectKey' to type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobObjectKey'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

I have registered the DTS.dll as regsvr32 “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\DTS.dll

However still get the above error.

I think it must be related to my machine as I can create a job on the same server from another machine , only fails on my desktop.

Any ideas ?

thanks all

• You may need to reinstall SQL Server on your desktop - possible case of file corruption. If you were to go down this path, you need to think about cleaning the registry and the install folders, particularly as it relates to a default installation.

Alternatively, you may want to play with it a little longer to determine the exact cause of this issue and how it could be fixed.

Paul

• Cheers Paul for reply

Well, did as you suggested and removed SQL 2005. Re-installed. No service pack installed yet.

SQL Agent jobs created fine , jobs run fine.

Now about SP2 what do you think install it , or leave off as jobs working without it ?

What do you all reckon ???

• I've not had any issues with SP2, but it really depends on what's in SP2 that is critical in your particular situation. I believe there is an article here in SQLServerCentral.com giving a summary of what is included in SP2 , but someone else might be able to help you out with this.

Paul

• Gentlemen,

I've run into this same error message (Unable to cast object of tyhpe 'Microsofot.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SimpleObjectKey' too type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobObjectKey') since the install of SP2.  With SP1, I was able to create jobs and call those jobs from a Command Line.  Now SP2 has been installed and these jobs will not execute.

I see from ya'lls conversations that an uninstall is required to fix this issue, is there another way around it?

Jim

• Hello -

I got around this by taking another job - scripting it for a CREATE in a new window. Modified the tsql for the new job and executed - it added the job. Will be getting around to adding the SP2 soon - as I can't view the properties of the jobs anymore either - always opens up window for a 'New Job'.

Hope this helps.

• Hi all,

I've the same error: i installed the SP2 for Client and nothing I'm getting the same error. should i reinstall the SQL?... i don't know wath to do?.. and if i've to reinstall the SQL witch register values do i have to modify?.

Tx. all...

😀

• Have you installed SP3? The earlier replies have all been older than 21 months.

If you have to uninstall, why do you have to modify the registry, earlier replies have not mentioned that any where isn't it?

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply