SQL Server Agent for SQL Express on Linux

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Agent for SQL Express on Linux

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• This is great stuff!

One thing I didn't see in the article (sorry if I just missed it!) that might be worth pointing out is I believe (correct me if I'm wrong!) crontab will run concurrently, but SQL Server Agent will hold off on the next scheduled execution until an existing one finishes. For example, if you have a process run every minute, but it's running longer than a minute, crontab will kick off the "job" again while the previous execution is still running, but SQL Server Agent won't kick off the job if it's already running.

• Eilert Hjelmeseth wrote:

This is great stuff! One thing I didn't see in the article (sorry if I just missed it!) that might be worth pointing out is I believe (correct me if I'm wrong!) crontab will run concurrently, but SQL Server Agent will hold off on the next scheduled execution until an existing one finishes. For example, if you have a process run every minute, but it's running longer than a minute, crontab will kick off the "job" again while the previous execution is still running, but SQL Server Agent won't kick off the job if it's already running.

That's a very good point, and not something I'd thought of in testing; as I'd left it to quite basic tasks. Hopefully, however, someone wouldn't have a task that runs more than once a minute than takes longer than a minute to run; as that would seem like a rather silly task.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply