SQL Server Agent & DTS job problems

• I am developing a data-warehouse and trying to populate the data staging area from an Informix database using SCO Vision ODBC drivers.

I've created the DTS packages (meta data services packages) and set up a job to run them sequentially every night. Most mornings, I come in and the job seems to have got stuck. No error messages though. I test the DTS packages on their own and they work. On a rare occasion, the job runs OK. Most of the time it doesn't. Any ideas out there?

• It sounds like at this stage you need more information to try to identify the problem. When I had similar issues with a large DTS job I found it useful to log successful completion of each step and the values of all associated global variables. For this you have an ActiveX script which uses the filesystem object to log using the precedence OnSuccess of each step. This log could also contain the completion time of the step. That way you could identify the step which is causing the problem.

If you don't want the hassle of doing this, as a start you could enable the DTS logging -on the advanced tab of the Transformation task. This is not customisable but will still give plenty of info on the execution of each step.

Paul Ibison PhD, MCSD

email: Paul.Ibison@btinternet.com

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply