SQL Server Active Directory helper?

• Hi

I am not able to start SQL Server Active Directory helper in my server 2003.

What is the use of ‘SQL Server Active Directory helper’?

How do I get around this problem?

I have SQL server 2005 + sp2.

• Check out the thread here --> SQL Server Active Directory Helper Service http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic436979-112-1.aspx

--
    Andrew Hatfield

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• mayurambokar - Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:38 AM

HiI am not able to start SQL Server Active Directory helper in my server 2003. What is the use of ‘SQL Server Active Directory helper’?How do I get around this problem? I have SQL server 2005 + sp2.

I realize this thread is 9 years old but, since someone necro'd it, I thought I'd add a bit to it.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with "SQL Server Active Directory Helper".  It was discontinued in SQL Server 2012.

The question is, what are you trying to do with it?  There are a lot of ways to interrogate Active Directory from SQL Server.

To be equally honest if you're still on Windows 2003 and/or SQL Server 2005, you're using a product that was introduced in 2003 (Windows) and 2005 (SQL Server)  Windows Server 2003 has some pretty nasty security holes compared to the latest and greatest (which also has some security holes... it seems like it always does).  SQL Server 2005 is also 14 years old, has some security issues, and the newer versions have a lot of great new functionality.

My recommendation would be to develop a plan and upgrade as soon as possible.  If you're using 3rd party software that cannot withstand such upgrades, I'd make sure the machine that's on were as isolated as possible from everything else.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• inshah2297 - Friday, December 14, 2018 10:09 PM

When SQL Server is installed, a number of Windows Services are also installed depending on the components selected. Apart from that, there are a couple of services which are part of the Windows OS installation that are also used by SQL Server and its components. It is important to understand the significance of each of these services to manage them effectively thereby ensuring effective utilization of available resources on the physical server. In this tip we will outline an initial understanding on the services that are used by SQL Server and its components that are required for proper particular components and features.

Ummm... what tip?  There's no link and nothing attached.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, December 16, 2018 9:03 AM

inshah2297 - Friday, December 14, 2018 10:09 PM

When SQL Server is installed, a number of Windows Services are also installed depending on the components selected. Apart from that, there are a couple of services which are part of the Windows OS installation that are also used by SQL Server and its components. It is important to understand the significance of each of these services to manage them effectively thereby ensuring effective utilization of available resources on the physical server. In this tip we will outline an initial understanding on the services that are used by SQL Server and its components that are required for proper particular components and features.

Ummm... what tip?  There's no link and nothing attached.

I think inshah2297 is practicing his copy/paste skills:
    https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2622/windows-services-for-sql-server/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply