SQL Server account login

• I have a SQL Server that is backing up to a remote backup share server though I can't get it to automatically delete old backups.

In "Services" I believe the SQL Server "Log on As" account needs to be changed from an NT Service account to a domain account which has backup permissions to backup share for this to work.

If i change both the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent logins from NT Service to a domain account what impacts can this have on the server and it will it need a reboot afterwards to take effect?

• If the backups are being created on the share I would expect there is something else involved as to why it will not delete them (e.g. permissions, delete task not configured properly, permissions to the share and physical directory are not full privileges).

Changing the service account to another login should not have an effect if done properly. By properly I mean through SQL Server Configuration Manager, and once changed the services will have to be restarted to take affect. You do not have to reboot the whole server itself, just restart the services for SQL Server.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply