SQL Server 2019 Distributed Availability Groups

• Hello, I am attempting to create a SQL Server Distributed Availability Group in my Azure EC3 environment.  When I attempt to alter my Distributed AG on AG2 using the below command, I get an error as shown below the command.

ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [WOASQLDISTAG]JOINAVAILABILITY GROUP ON'WAOAG1Hfv96xWgv' WITH(LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WAOAG121jAavqBc.WAOAG1.com:5022',AVAILABILITY_MODE = ASYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT,FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,SEEDING_MODE = MANUAL),'WAOAG2cJ22S7mQO' WITH(LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WAOAG22peucJsSD.WAOAG1.com:5022',AVAILABILITY_MODE = ASYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT,FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,SEEDING_MODE = MANUAL);GO

Error:

Msg 19511, Level 16, State 0, Line 8

Cannot join distributed availability group 'WOASQLDISTAG'. The local availability group 'WAOAG2cJ22S7mQO' contains one or more databases. Remove all the databases or create an empty availability group to join a distributed availability group.

I use an AWS Launch Wizard to create this environment.  There are 4 nodes, 2 for each AG.

Any ideas on how to overcome this error?  I have searched the internet and have had no luck with existing suggestions.

Thank you,

David

• The error message is quite clear on that, you have a database which is already part of the availability group, to setup DAG's all the groups need to be empty, then add the databases after the DAG has been formed.

• DK wrote:

Hello, I am attempting to create a SQL Server Distributed Availability Group in my Azure EC3 environment.  When I attempt to alter my Distributed AG on AG2 using the below command, I get an error as shown below the command.

ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [WOASQLDISTAG]JOINAVAILABILITY GROUP ON'WAOAG1Hfv96xWgv' WITH(LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WAOAG121jAavqBc.WAOAG1.com:5022',AVAILABILITY_MODE = ASYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT,FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,SEEDING_MODE = MANUAL),'WAOAG2cJ22S7mQO' WITH(LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WAOAG22peucJsSD.WAOAG1.com:5022',AVAILABILITY_MODE = ASYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT,FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,SEEDING_MODE = MANUAL);GO

Error:

Msg 19511, Level 16, State 0, Line 8 Cannot join distributed availability group 'WOASQLDISTAG'. The local availability group 'WAOAG2cJ22S7mQO' contains one or more databases. Remove all the databases or create an empty availability group to join a distributed availability group.

I use an AWS Launch Wizard to create this environment.  There are 4 nodes, 2 for each AG.

Any ideas on how to overcome this error?  I have searched the internet and have had no luck with existing suggestions.

Thank you,

David

Are you in Azure, or AWS?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• AWS.

• I used an AWS Launch wizard to create the AlwaysOn Availability groups.  AG1 and AG1.  They are both on the same VCP and share subnets.  After the 2 AGs are created, is there something I need to do prior to running the scripts below?  The second one is failing.

CREATE AVAILABILITY GROUP [distributedag]  
    WITH (DISTRIBUTED)
    AVAILABILITY GROUP ON
    'WSQLAOAG1Io0hjh' WITH
    (
    LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WSQLAOAG1gDvCxT.wsqlaoag.com:5022',
    AVAILABILITY_MODE = ASYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT,
    FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,
    SEEDING_MODE = AUTOMATIC
    ),
    'WSQLAOAG2Np5ptD' WITH
    (
    LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WSQLAOAG1JeODbS.wsqlaoag.com:5022',
    FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,
    SEEDING_MODE = AUTOMATIC
    );
    GO

USE [master]

GO
    ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [WSQLAOAG2Np5ptD]
    REMOVE DATABASE [TestDB];
    GO

-- Run on Primary AG2
    ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [distributedag]
    JOIN
    AVAILABILITY GROUP ON
    'WSQLAOAG1gDvCxT' WITH
    (
    LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WSQLAOAG1gDvCxT.wsqlaoag.com:5022',
    FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,
    SEEDING_MODE = AUTOMATIC
    ),
    'WSQLAOAG2Np5ptD' WITH
    (
    LISTENER_URL = 'TCP://WSQLAOAG1JeODbS.wsqlaoag.com:5022',
    FAILOVER_MODE = MANUAL,
    SEEDING_MODE = AUTOMATIC
    );
    GO

ALTER DATABASE [TestDB] SET HADR AVAILABILITY GROUP = [WSQLAOAG2Np5ptD];

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply