SQL Server 2016 + Visual Studio 2017 Setup for SSIS

• Have not had luck searching on this.. must not be picking the correct words:

So we have upgraded our first SSIS server to SQL Server 2016 and Visual Studio 2017, using the Integration Services Catalog. Now in our older SSIS packages we use the "Rely on server storage and roles for access control." Also when opening up a package we never got decrypt error messages. This will occur in 2017 if you are not the same user that last saved the package AND on the same server/PC that saved the package. So how does one avoid this now?

• Also if I set the package to a password, then when I push the package up to the server it will fail, unless I go back in and switch it back. Then push it to the SQL Server.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  dwilliscp.
  • In my opinion, this does not sound like a robust development environment.

Your packages, together with projects and solutions, should be in source control. They should also be deployed to servers from source control. When you want to edit a package, use the source control version as the base, make your modifications, test and check in to source control.

Set the package protection level to Don't Save Sensitive.

Configure the values of sensitive parameters using SSISDB environments. These should also take care of the values of various connection strings and other environment-specific items.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Not saying we shouldn't push our vendor to support source control.. but we work mostly in their application making changes, and then the SQL side to support those changes. Heck they don't even support MTP. All the work we do in Dev, except for the SQL, has to be re-done in their application in both QA and Prod. I have been pushing them to fix that for years now.

I will look into trying to see what we can set up in the SSISDB .. like you brought up above. Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply