Sql server 2016 SERVICE PACK 2

• SQL server service pack installation just closes.  Would anyone know what is this? Also I tried with SP1, the GUI just closes and no errors. Even tried a hot fix exe same thing.

only SQL SERVER installed successfully(manually installed)

Thanks

The message I see in log is :

Saved .Net security policy file 02/03/2020 17:45:04.241

Attempting to release setup mutex 02/03/2020 17:45:04.241

Setup mutex has been released 02/03/2020 17:45:04.241

Setup closed with exit code: 0x00000000 02/03/2020 17:45:04.241

• Can you post the entire result of "summary.txt" file (C:\program files\microsoft sql server\130\setup bootstrap\log\summary.txt)?  That usually has the best information about why an install failed.

The messages you psoted there do not really say much except that it setup exited successfully with exit code 0 which USUALLY means success.

May want to check the windows event log as well.  Might have better information.

As a thought, what is the exact version number for the version of SQL you have installed?  You should compare that version with the release versions to ensure you are installing an update that you require.  For example, if your version is 13.0.5598.27, then you are fully patched already. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3177312/sql-server-2016-build-versions)

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• may be reinstall OS

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  RGP.
  • Make sure you are an administrator on the server.   Also try: right click on the exe and run as administrator.

• Thanks guys, so finally I decided to ask the windows team to do the OS rebuild and then once again tried the installation and all success this time.  It appears (as I was searching in google), there could be some registry clean up that needed to be done.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply