SQL Server 2016 Mirroring

• Hi,
    Can someone please confirm that SQL Server 2016 SP1 does or doesn't do mirroring,

Thanks,

Kris

• Kris-155042 - Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:32 PM

Hi,
    Can someone please confirm that SQL Server 2016 SP1 does or doesn't do mirroring,

Yes but it's being deprecated - it's been on the list for that since maybe SQL 2012 or so. You can find it in the list of supported features for the specific editions in SQL Server:
    Editions and supported features of SQL Server 2016

Sue

• I saw that, but was does "Full Safety only" mean and how is that implemented

Thanks,

Kris

• Kris-155042 - Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:31 PM

I saw that, but was does "Full Safety only" mean and how is that implemented

Full safety means that the transactional safety is set to FULL which implies that the operating mode is synchronous.
    😎

• Kris-155042 - Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:31 PM

I saw that, but was does "Full Safety only" mean and how is that implemented

There are two transaction safety levels: - full and off - which are Safety Full and Safety off
    Full transaction safety causes the session to operate synchronously in high-safety mode where the principal server waits for an acknowledgement from the mirror.
    By default a session is set to full transaction safety so there really isn't anything special to do to implement this. You just set up mirroring following the documentation:
    Setting Up Database Mirroring (SQL Server)

Sue

• Sue_H - Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:14 PM

Kris-155042 - Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:32 PM

Hi,

Yes but it's being deprecated - it's been on the list for that since maybe SQL 2012 or so. You can find it in the list of supported features for the specific editions in SQL Server:

Sue

sql server 2014 was deprecated

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle - Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:49 AM

Sue_H - Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:14 PM

Kris-155042 - Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:32 PM

Hi,

Sue

sql server 2014 was deprecated

Okay...so you made me look it up. It was 2012 when it was announced and it is still on the list of things to be deprecated in a future release.
    Deprecated Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2012
    Deprecated Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2016

Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply