SQL Server 2016 installation error :VS shell installation has failed with exit code 1638

• Hi,
    I am trying to  install SQL Server 2016 Standard on a VM . first time the installation worked fine but had to uninstall it and re-install .
    Now I am getting  error VS shell installation has failed with exit code 1638.
    does that mean that in the  uninstall process something was uninstalled that shouldn't have been ?
    The server  already  have  MS Visual   C++ 2015 and C++ 2013 Redistributable
    Shouldn't the SQL 2016 installation install all the prerequisites?
    Do  I need to install MS Visual C++ 2016  Redistributable ? Is there a link to install it.
    The server is Windows Server 2016  Standard.
    Thanks!

• SJanki - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:06 PM

Hi,
    I am trying to  install SQL Server 2016 Standard on a VM . first time the installation worked fine but had to uninstall it and re-install .
    does that mean that in the  uninstall process something was uninstalled that shouldn't have been ?
    Do  I need to install MS Visual C++ 2016  Redistributable ? Is there a link to install it.
    Thanks!

Try a repair of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) and then do a restart
    Installation of SQL Server 2017 failing with ‘VS Shell installation has failed with exit code 1638

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:18 PM

SJanki - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:06 PM

Hi,
    Thanks!

Try a repair of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) and then do a restart
    Installation of SQL Server 2017 failing with ‘VS Shell installation has failed with exit code 1638

Sue

Thank you ! It worked.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply