SQL Server 2016 cannot show correct cpu cores in CPU affinity

• Hi Guys,

I wonder if SQL Server cannot support too many cpu cores?

select @@version

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP2-CU8) (KB4505830) - 13.0.5426.0 (X64) Jul 21 2019 21:16:47 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: )

select * from sys.configurations where name = 'affinity mask'

,return value is 0

configuration_id name value minimum maximum value_in_use description is_dynamic is_advanced

1535 affinity mask 0 -2147483648 2147483647 0 affinity mask 1 1

The server has 72 logical processors, but cpu affinity shows 99...

cpu_01

and it shows incorrect numaNode...

cpu_02

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Is hyperthreading enabled? The product has been shown to work with hundreds of cores. I think you're missing something in your view.

• I was thinking maybe you are missing a patch for either Windows (more likely) or SQL Server, what comes first to my mind is: Is it a newer AMD Epyc / Xenon Scalable Server?

If so for these MCM Designs at least for better scheduling a patch was released a while ago, maybe it has something to do with that? At least the CPU core count (wether the actual or what SQL Server might be thinking) is nothing to worry about really, I've seen 64 Core Systems (128 Threads) work without any issue with MSSQL Server at least.

• It is enabled...

C:\Windows\system32>wmic

wmic:root\cli>CPU Get NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors /Format:List

NumberOfCores=18

NumberOfLogicalProcessors=36

NumberOfCores=18

NumberOfLogicalProcessors=36

wmic:root\cli>

• we have multiple instances installed on that those servers, I can assign cpu affinity to logical cores not exists, it is working, but I just don't know how it works...

• It is Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6254 CPU @ 3.10GHz.

I have not found anyone else reported the same issue I have.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply